Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
Check out Battlefront forum post http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125985-buddy-aid/?tab=comments#comment-1729020. If JoMc67 is correct, two (2) of @Rockinharry's soldier animation mods may provide an advantage to H2H players using them.
Apparently, these modifications change the code string for the "stance" of cowering and buddy-aid troops. Cowering soldiers only lie prone with actual weapons at the ready. Buddy-Aid performed while lying prone purportedly reduces the medic's profile which results in less chance of becoming a casualty. Is this correct?

What's been the experience of FGM members using these? Do they provide actual game advantage? Any thoughts regarding H2H play?

@MeatEtr do you have a nice house and car? Is it worth the hassel to "find" the underlying code changes ;););)?

Erwin and I have had discussions about this - you can probably see them in the thread.

The fact is changing the animations will make a difference because a large part of the "does solider end up a casualty" is based on their 3D model. So the short answer is that it will make a difference. I believe he has tested it actually.

IIRC I had speculated that one side could gain an advantage but my revised opinion (only an opinion) is that it will not. Here is why: in PBEM only one machine is actually generating the happenings of a turn. That machine is using the animations and models it has to determine the turn. After that both sides just view the action. So, if my machine is running this mod and doing the turn calculations then all soldiers will receive less of a chance of being hit during buddy aid. When you watch the turn your buddy aid-ers will be kneeling as expected and some number will become casulties themselves but at a reduced rate that you will likely not notice.

For the record I remain against running a mod like that and will not. Not just from the discussion above but also because first aid is not given lying down. If something needs to be tweaked with buddy aid it would be that aiders should sometimes drag casulties away from where they fall to a safer location and then administrate buddy aid. That is a feature that has been requested and one that I would support. Mind you I'm not sure that would ever make it to a top 10 level.

I doubt hits are calculated against all the polygons of the soldier models. If they are, there would be very big optimisation rewards by checking against a simple "hitbox", either a box shaped one or a very simplified soldier model.

The same goes for the spotting calculations. If each soldier has to check his spotting against each individual triangle of every single enemy soldier all the time, the game would make so many unnecessary calculations every second.

That said, I don't play using this mod either.

It should be simple to test the mod. Have a team HIDE behind a low wall. Drop a mortar or two on them, causing a casualty. Have an enemy team watch them from the other side of the wall (flat ground).

One guy from the damaged team should move over and do buddy aid. If the mod works, he will not be spotted by the enemy team (he will be prone behind the low wall).

If the mod doesn't work, he should be spotted.

Back