Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ron Ball WW2 RAF Veteran

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Guys

I've been in dialogue with Ron who I got put in touch with courtesy of my mother in law. Turns out Ron is my wife's 1st cousin 2nd removed... yeah confusing... LOL

Anyway... I will use this thread to collate the posts I get from Ron and if any of you wish to ask a question just post it in here and if he joins he can answer himself or I can forward it onto him. Ron is 89 years young and Im well impressed that he knows his way around a computer and the internet as well as any of us.... considering my Dad is 73 and can barely use a TV remote. :)

After sending my initial mail to Ron I got this response. Ive added some links in for those interested.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Shane

I am pleased to hear that some of the "younger generation" are taking an interest in the events of WW2. It is a pity that this historical subject is not included in the UK school curriculum, I also discovered that it is not taught in Maltese schools either. It is a pity that you did not contact me regarding this project earlier as my friend, for over 68 years, who lived in Concorth was with me in Malta and had a wealth of pictures and information. I could have put you In touch with him but unfortunately he passed away on 9th June.

I served in Malta from early 1942 to Christmas 1943 (during the siege) then I was flown to Catania in Sicily, and then on into Italy. I left Naples in April to return to the UK.

In Malta I was on RAF station Takali mainly servicing Spitfires for 229 and 249 squadrons but was rounded up to work on any other aircraft that appeared on the aerodrome. Also I was designated to attend to any thing else that needed electrical work to be carried out on, including the making up and installing "fairy lights" at the CO's parties.

There are a great deal of publications etc. relating to Malta's role and its important influence in the outcome of the conflict in the Mediterranean.

DVDs worth looking at.

Heroes in the Sky - http://maltaheroes.com/
Guns for Malta - http://gunsformalta.com/
Against all Odds - http://www.factualtv.com/documentary/Against-all-Odds-The-Quest-for-Malta

Books there plenty and some should be in your local library.

Faith, Hope and Charity by Kenneth Poolman.

Malta Spitfire by George Beurlimg and Leslie Roberts ( Screwball Beurling was an Ace Pilot on 249 Sqdn)

Hero by Brian Nolan (about Beurling an earlier book)

Pedestal by B C Smith

Malta Blitz but not Beaten by Paul Vella

Warburton's War by Tony Spooner

Faith Hope and Malta by Tony Spooner (he has written many books pertaining to Malta)

Thorn in Rommel's side by "Laddy" Lucas (he was CO of 249 Squadron and also has wrote many books)

I also suggest you log on to the web "Malta 1942" (page 3) which gives much information, especially look at the "Poliomyelitis epidemic" which was another stress we encountered along with the bombing, strafing and shortage of food, being on 1/3 ration that was considered necessary for normal sustenance. All along we were expected to, and did, the necessary work to maintain the aerodrome and the aircraft to defend the Island and oppose the Axis air strikes and attack their convoys.

I have not had the opportunity to visit your web site as yet

Regards

Ron.

My Aberdeen pal and me, one in 1942 the other in 2002.

1942-1en005.jpg
1942-1en006.jpg

Ron Ball 1942

1942People2.jpg

Fresh milk delivered to your door.

1942-1002.jpg

King George VI in Malta

KINGGEORGEV1.jpg
king-1.jpg

What??? That topic isn´t part of the school curriculum at UK??? Even we in East Germany had that topic to learn about. Not every little detail but the things which fitted most with the political correctness. :))) First we learned the "Big Brother" Soviet Union was the winner and after the fall of the wall there was a new political correctness and the russians were the new "almost-devils". I can´t believe the government of UK don´t uses that for own propaganda and such things. How is it in the other countires - USA, Canada, France etc.? The same as in the UK?

Greetings

Back