Round 3 - Final Scores and Standings

Mad Mike

FGM Lieutenant
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
@Nort and myself are progressing nicely (except that I get beaten to a pulp ;)).

We're at file 74 with 10 minutes remaining.

MeatEtr

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Poesel and me have 25 mins left... good tight battle. I might be getting the edge on him with the Italians. But still too early to say... we both have our Shermans/Panzers still kicking.

SlySniper

FGM Colour Sergeant
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
ok, finally managed to get a image posted.

Jolly Olly stepped in and gave me one heck of a battle, wrecked my plan of having an easy opponent for round three.

but it was a very enjoyable match and we fought tooth and nail to a tight finish.

Jolly has not been at this site long but he is a good hard competitive player for anyone whom cares to know.

I might have to do a AAR on this match.

Also - Gunner best battle so far out of the three (not exactly balanced, favors the Allies in my opinion, but with the format we are playing in. it does not matter and it is close enough in a situation where every scenario generally favors one side no matter what.

Jolly Olly

FGM Private
I am so thankful I threw my hat in the ring to fill in on this tournament and thanks again for letting me.

Despite the outcome (for me) this was just one heck of a fun game! Sly is a fantastic opponent and he really forced me to step up my game more than a bit. For the better part of the fight I felt I was doing my best Josh Chamberlain impression trying to refuse the flank at Little Round Top. Things didn't work out as good for me unfortunately.
:confused: :2charge::2charge::2charge::2charge:

I don't know how the previous two battles compare to this one but I really liked the scenario and the map and felt the forces were as balanced as can be expected, as that is something that can't ever (and maybe shouldn't be) perfect. A huge part of the fun and challenge in these things is seeing what you can do with what you have been given and the terrain and objectives you have to tackle.

I know I have not booked many games thus far...but this was hands down the most fun, excitement, and gut-wrenching stress I have had the pleasure to enjoy in CM2!!!

Thank you again Sly for a quality game from start to finish!

Gunner

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
Slysniper, when I was setting creating the OOB I felt it was a bit balanced towards the Axis.
I envisioned the Allies moving in to the houses on the VL's and the Italian 90mm's doing a number on them so I gave the Allies two M8's to match the Italian HE potential.
Not playing the scenario myself much longer than the time it takes to insure all the reinforcements come on properly, I moved all the Italian tanks in to the woods on the Axis left and they seemed to have an edge on the Stuarts. Another reason why I added the M8's.
Right now the Axis and Allied are tied at 3 games a piece with total points slightly in the Axis favor so I hesitate to reduce the Allied OOB.

Gunner

Scores and standings have been updated at the top of the thread.

Nort, moving from 7th in the first round to 2and after the scecond round currently stands atop of the leader board for the Allies.

Badger73, moving from 10th in the first round to to 9th in the second has made a big jump this round and is now currently at the top of the Axis board.

SlySniper

FGM Colour Sergeant
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Gunner, I am not being critical of your work.

I think you have done a good job in all three battles of getting good match ups. - and they have all been enjoyable.

But I can share my opinion and that is all it is.

But the battle favors the Allies in my view for these reasons.

First, allies can target all four objectives from their half of the map. The Germans see one, plus the center building that overlooks everything.

Second, access into those objective structures all face the allied side. (of course the Italian 90mm's can solve that if you want to use them few rounds for that)

Third, infantry firepower (bazooka's and demo charges gives allies some added options the Germans don't have.)

Fourth, armor dual match ups, For me, I would have loved the slight advantages the allies had with the equipment. (but that is a matter of opinion - but the stewards should have the advantages on the Italian stuff and the Shermans on the Mk 4's).

I said it before and I will say it again, you are doing a good job, it reflects in the battles that either side can win and it is the players impacting which side wins more than the match ups.

So just because the germans are performing well in the battle. Does not reflect the balance of the set up. it just reflects you did a good enough job that the challenge is fair enough it does not matter.

Plus in truth, I enjoyed this battle immensely because of the challenges I faced with what I was given. I love it when I manage to take what I see as disadvantages and manage to overcome them.

But I will stay with my comment that I think the situation favors the Allies.

Gunner

@SlySniper
Not to worry mate. I truly appreciate your input.
I welcome all advice, criticism, suggestions and recommendations.
I didn't mean to sound defensive.
I will go back and tweak the scenarios from this input and put them up to the scenario depot (will be my first).

As far as the map goes, it is a canned map so I assume there must have been some thought as to the balance there given setup locations.
Of course the map designer doesn't take me placing reinforcements outside the setup zone in to consideration or the starting OOB or me adding scouts for that matter ;)

I tried changing the "Church" VL but found it difficult getting the right building to face the right way. I'm a lame map maker.
I thought about changing the vineyard on the Axis right to an orchid to better gain access to the VL there but was worried about drastically changing the balance.
I could have changed the VL houses to types that have front and back doors but again wasn't ready to change what the map designer thought was a balance map. Using the 90mm to "open doors" isn't really a viable option, they only had 6 HE rounds each! I could somehow purchase Italian engineers with satchels maybe.
I created the VL at the Allied crossroads leaving it difficult to keep seeing as it is all in the open.

I tried to balance the AT assets, tanks, bazookas and such by giving the Italians more tanks to start with, I forget exactly, 9 AFV's to the Allied 7 (?)
I hoped also that the German reinforcements would balance that out a bit.

Like you say though, the format leaves flexibility for balance but when I upload to the scenario depot I loose that flexibility.

So, I would like to hear from everyone what they think may help balance the scenario in their opinion.
Maybe one less M8? More Italian armor? Change the vineyard? The VL's? Houses? Any suggestions for balance?

SlySniper

FGM Colour Sergeant
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
As for placing it at the scenario depot, its pretty much there, no changes really needed.

At this point, really minor adjustments would be all you do if any, nothing drastic.

Maybe a few Germans with DC's would be nice. Leave the map alone.

The easiest way to keep the allies from snatching all the main points of the map and having great cover watch on them is allow the axis to snatch one first that prevents that.

So I would maybe suggest allowing the set up on the axis right flank in some way to be closer to the right objective and they have a higher chance to obtain that first. thus, two objectives likely go to each side early on and let the fighting go from there. Presently, it seems likely for 3 of the objectives to fall in allied hands and one for the Axis.

Just keep in mind, a few minor changes is all you want to do at the most. Don't change it too much or you lose the flavor of what you presently have. And in general you are getting a lot of good feedback on this battle.