Round 3 - Final Scores and Standings

poesel71

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
My game with @poesel71 has finished, I gotta Major Victory as the Axis. It was a well played and patient game right up to the final OZ frantic push in the last min. Thanks for a fun game poesel. ;)
Glad you liked it. For me it was mostly a lesson in frustration. :(
The beginning was ok and we traded blow for blow. But just before we got the second reinforcements (mostly infantry) I lost several tank battles in a row. That happens but unfortunately I failed to kill a 47mm Italian tank thing with two M5s. That left my reinforcements under direct fire of this tank and the Stummel etc... that came at the same time. End result was a total disarray of my left flank and its subsequent destruction which I couldn't compensate later.

But job well done @MeatEtr (as usual)! If there is anything to critizise then that you could have been more reckless on your right. There was nothing left that could oppose you.

Good job MeatEtr.
I thought for sure the Allies had an advantage what with getting to the VL's first.

Were you able to take advantage of the Italian armor and the high ground?
Was that the edge?
The crossroads as a VL is difficult to defend because it has LOS to many places. The farm on the right is a dead end because of the vineyards behind it. For the ground I think the Axis has the advantage. Units wise a slight advantage for the Axis.
Big disadvantage for the Allies is how the reinforcements come into the game. Being in LOS to the enemy should not happen. A wall or a few houses on the side and it wouldn't have been a problem.
In retrospect I should have gone all out on the left to get the big farm. That gives access to the crossroads and the small farm on the right. The US should have the upper hand in close quarter fighting against the Italians (more SMGs, turreted tanks). Hätte, hätte Fahradkette. ;)

But since all Allied commanders have the same setup it doesn't matter. :)

One thing that does matter is unfortunately a problem of CM itself and I have no solution for it. In our game I could contest the crossroads in the last minute. The only effect of that action is that MeatEtr looses points but I don't gain any. Since he is my enemy in this battle but not on the leader board this move makes no sense for me as a player of this tournament. That is a bad incentive and I wish we had a remedy for that.

MeatEtr

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Were you able to take advantage of the Italian armor and the high ground?
Was that the edge?
Not really, early on clear advantage goes to Allies because of the under performing Italians. Although I think I got lucky trading blows with poesel. AFVs are turrentless and have long reload times. The 47mm gun is pretty useless and the 90mm have tiny loadouts.

My Germans sorta came in like a wrecking ball. Had to use Stummels vs his Stuarts, not ideal but managed to take them out. Allies got bazookas (counted at least 3?) and Germans no panzershrecks. Infantry AT ability was a mere two rifle grenade launchers with 2 AT rounds. When my P4s came in they got 2 Shermans but lost one and another got his gun broke (which I lied to @poesel71 about LOL, you can never trust what I say mid-battle, Im full of propaganda, sorry buddy LOL). :D So it was even on tanks at this point, we kinda played hide and seek with them until the last few mins.

Hey did you like my anti-smokescreen smoke? I knew you would want to smoke the final OZ and rush it. It worked out pretty much as planned but you still managed to park an M8 on the OZ in the last few seconds along with my troops. That M8 ate a AT rifle nade in the side but didn't KO and theres multplie grenades flying towards it as time stopped. So the silver lining in your loss is that you negated my Total Victory and bumped me down to 2nd place. Bit of a bummer too since I held the crossroads the last several turns. Oh if only the variable timer was used in this battle. :(

For the Axis Canadian Cat moved from 5th to 3rd and now holds first place.
MeatEtr slipped from 1st to 2nd but is well within striking range of 1st for Round 4.
Yeah not sure I like this "later rounds score higher" idea. I get it, in that it helps players that fall behind early have a chance to get back into it. But is it fair? I think consistency should be the determining factor and not a strong finish. But Im not running this show! ;)

sspoom

FGM Sergeant
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
I actually had 2 VLs to 1 at the end as I made the crossroads hell on earth the final few turns but lost on casualties.
Lots of early Italian casualties due to mortar fire and a late attempt by me to get a third VL got me chewed up.
I was playing for a draw early due to large Italian losses, and since I had very little previous experience with vinyards I exhausted my German re-enforcements
trying to go through them the wrong way....:oops::rolleyes::shocknaz:
In my opinion the Allies had an early advantage in armor and troops, plus the Axis could have used a few breaching teams or pioneers.
The non-splitting Italian troops (or atleast mine) suffered heavily under Allied mortar fire. Nothing like having 1 mortar round ruin a whole squads day.

Ultimately it was a very fun challenging battle.

Meat Grinder

FGM Captain
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I do want to say that this one has been my favorite of the three, by far. We have had an incredible amount of action, attacks, counterattacks, burning tanks, collapsing buildings. Fun stuff indeed.

JTimo

FGM Sergeant
I think we are getting married after this is over.
MG, you couldn’t afford me.

Of course he would like this game. He’s got all the VLs, and 3 living Sherman’s. My only consolation is seeing his 17 dead troopers in one room. Never saw so many in one place. :2draw:

Actually, I have to agree with MG. This game is much more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I too fell prey to mortar rounds falling on my full squads of Italians. So the game didn’t start well for me, and MG quickly secured all 4 VLs. I’ve had experience with wine vineyards (both in and out of game :cool:). To me they were obstacles that I would have to go around. Despite this, my Italians and their armor did better than I thought they would. Had there been some doors on my side of the buildings, I might even be winning this game. Seven to go, but I’m not expecting much good to happen.

JTimo

FGM Sergeant
Action til the end. Machine Gun duals between halftracks. Infantry assaults on tanks, A real slaughter. MG got the vic 450 to 100. I just couldn't get him out of my home VL, and I thought I had the VL on my right, but he had two guys hidden away, and I had no time left to find them. He had 1 Sherman left to my 2 Italian SPATs, and 2 Stummel's, but time ran out before I could use them to claim the VLs. That, and I was pretty much out of men. Great game @Meat Grinder, congratulations!

Last edited: