Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Royal Ulster Rifles in Cyprus 1957/58

Hi my name is Catherine Neill, Tedford before marriage. My Dad served in the Royal Ulster Rifles and we lived in Famagusta in 1958 until troops were evacuated and we had to get out quickly. I have been trying to find photos of where we lived and yours are great, thanks. I would love to visit Famagusta and me, my Sister and Brother are going out to Cyprus next month. I need to try and find out if our bungalow was destroyed or if it's in part of the "Ghost Town"we won't be able to see. I was told the street name by an old mate of my Dads called Frankie Mercer, but he has no idea how to spell it. All I know is that he said it was Regus Ferrios off the Old Lamos Road? My Sister Aileen has photo's of Dad which she will bring down for my Son to put on my laptop. He was in the Troodos mountains. We have great memories of Cyprus, and remember playing in the old walled City (the Gypsies let us ride their horses bareback) and diving off the harbour wall, but we can't find any recognisable maps with the street name on it. I wonder if your Dad can remember either Frankie Mercer or my Dad Samuel Tedford.? If he can tell you anything that would help in our search I would be grateful. Sincerely Yours Catherine
Hi Catherine,

I do hope you still follow this forum, if so I would love to see the pictures you have. Or if you have a picture of your father I will be happy to take a look if my grandfather has any photos of him :)

Kate

Reactions: mTk
Hi Catherine,

I do hope you still follow this forum, if so I would love to see the pictures you have. Or if you have a picture of your father I will be happy to take a look if my grandfather has any photos of him :)

Kate
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to tell you that she is no longer a member and apparently for years. However, we are expectant for your images. Greetings.

Algiers on route to Cyprus - John Cronin, Michael Boland (Knobby) and Wiseman (from Cork)

Attachments

• image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
John Cronin (far left) and John White (far right)

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    699.1 KB · Views: 3
Taken in Ballymena - From what my grandfather can recall
Back Row: 1) O Connor // 4) Ian Towell // 5) Cpl Mackilrevy // 8) John Cronin
Middle Row: 1) Michael Boland (Knobby) 2) Wiseman

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
My grandfather, John Cronin's, "gang"
Harry Mackilrevy (holding camera), next to him is possibly Oz Bauldinson (Ossy), and one of the others is Spud Murphy

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    773.1 KB · Views: 4
Soldiers dressed up as locals as a training exercise in capturing enemies
First from left - John Cronin & Second from left John White (Believed to be Cilla Black's brother)

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    819.1 KB · Views: 4
Cronin (far right) & Bell (2nd from right)

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 7
Back