Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Royal Ulster Rifles in Cyprus 1957/58

Xmas Day Guard '57 - Frank, Ossy, Spud and Williams

b-3.jpg

Guys this is just a personal project that Im doing at present for my father. He served in The Royal Ulster Rifles in Cyprus in the 50's and his eye sight isnt as good as it once was and he is having trouble looking over his old service pictures and has asked me to touch them up and enlarge them for him.

I have started to do this and thought I may as well share them with you guys. It may be of no interest but as I said its a personal project of my own. Feel free to comment.
As you know I served with your dad in Cyprus, if you want more pics just ask I have hundreds from those days and am still in touch with a lot of old "Stickies"
just let me know,
Dave

hi ive just started to research my grandad who also served in the royal ulster rifles in famgusta in cyprus from 57 - 59 RFN james carroll know as jim i was just wondering if your father knew of him or served with him if you can let me know i would be very greatful as it would help with my research

Hello,
My uncle was with the Royal Ulster Rifles in Cyprus in 1957. His name is Duncan Connelly, and he emigrated to Canada in the early 1960s. I have a few photos that I have scanned from his time in Cyprus, and I'll post them below now. I hope you enjoy them, and perhaps recognize a face or two.
Best Wishes,
Ian Wilkinson
Northumberland
UK

I'm afraid there's scant information on the photos, other than being able to identify my uncle Duncan. That's him on the right, by the way.scan0248.jpg

Duncan in the foreground, on board HMS Eagle in Famagusta
scan0250.jpg

Hi my name is Catherine Neill, Tedford before marriage. My Dad served in the Royal Ulster Rifles and we lived in Famagusta in 1958 until troops were evacuated and we had to get out quickly. I have been trying to find photos of where we lived and yours are great, thanks. I would love to visit Famagusta and me, my Sister and Brother are going out to Cyprus next month. I need to try and find out if our bungalow was destroyed or if it's in part of the "Ghost Town"we won't be able to see. I was told the street name by an old mate of my Dads called Frankie Mercer, but he has no idea how to spell it. All I know is that he said it was Regus Ferrios off the Old Lamos Road? My Sister Aileen has photo's of Dad which she will bring down for my Son to put on my laptop. He was in the Troodos mountains. We have great memories of Cyprus, and remember playing in the old walled City (the Gypsies let us ride their horses bareback) and diving off the harbour wall, but we can't find any recognisable maps with the street name on it. I wonder if your Dad can remember either Frankie Mercer or my Dad Samuel Tedford.? If he can tell you anything that would help in our search I would be grateful. Sincerely Yours Catherine

To be honest my father has terminal cancer and the doctors prognosis is he only has a few days left which is very sad. I will note your details down and take them to Northern Ireland with me when I head home as I know for a fact a few of his old 'stickies' (RUR colleagues) will be at the service and they may have a good idea. I sent you Dave Cranstons email address also and he is very knowledgeable of that time and place. Enjoy your trip.... I visited in 2001 and it was amazing.

I have a load more pictures of Dad in and around Famagusta and the Troodos mountains and when everything is done and dusted I will start uploading them for your viewing pleasure.

Back