Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario - Fire Brigade!

N

Nathangun

By George MC

Scenario Design Stuff
One for the tread heads!

This CMBN scenario, ‘Firebrigade’, recreates a fictional large scale armoured meeting engagement (about a reduced battalion on each side i,e, several companies) on the Eastern Front in late July 1944. In this scenario US forces represent a Soviet armoured forward detachment that has been pushed through a breach in the German front line (HKL).

In reality Soviet infantry would ride the tanks rather than be carried forward in half tracks. At the moment in CMBN infantry are unable to mount up and ride on armour (as in reality in the early stages of Normandy, which the game truly represents this behaviour was not common when in contact or expected to be in contact with the enemy) hence the half tracks.

In this action the ‘Soviets’ i.e. the US, are equipped with Shermans rather than T34s. In reality by this stage in the war several Soviet armoured units were actually equipped with Lend Lease Shermans, so in this respect it’s still within the bounds of possibility for a ‘Soviet armoured force equipped with Shermans to be fighting a German force.

Map Size: 3232m x 3360m
Unit Size: Approx several tank companies each side plus several companies of half track borne infantry (all reduced numbers due to combat losses etc).
Scenario Loading time: As it’s a large map it’ll take around 5 to 10 minutes to load. Be patient!
Play as: Best played as H2H; There are two AI Plans for either side so you can play Red Vs Blue AI or vice versa.

About The Scenario

0500Hrs 31st July 1944

Yesterday morning a surprise Soviet attack broke through the German HKL. Through this breach the Soviets pushed a strong armoured spearhead east along the rollbahn (the main German supply route) towards the village of ORLOVKA, cutting the German supply route and threatening to encircle the remaining defenders on the HKL.

Late yesterday afternoon a small German kampfgruppe of assault guns and some infantry, hastily moved into a blocking position west of ORLOVKA in the vicinity of BRIDGE 2. They engaged the advancing Soviet armour and knocked out the lead Soviet tank of this spearhead, but were then forced to pull back due to superior enemy forces. Since that engagement the Soviet advance guard took up defensive positions in and around some sections of the village of ORLOVKA.

That night both sides plan and issue orders for the next day. Both sides are desperate to change the current situation: The Soviets to hold on and expand their gains for future operations; The Germans to destroy the enemy in this sector and seal the breach.

It’s now 0500 Hrs on the 31st July. The day promises clear weather. Both sides start up the engines of their armour, last minute orders are issued, as the tanks and half tracks prepare to move out to their departure points.

Disclaimer
This is a very very large map. I think a lot of PCs might struggle. It'll take a while to load. So load it then walk away and come back ten minutes latter - should be fine (takes around 7 minutes to load on my PC). It plays better i.e. your PC will cope better if you play WEGO although I've been testing it a lot using RT. Still lot's of units in it so it can become a bit fraught playing RT.

Be keen to hear how players get on. It's my largest designed in CMBN (or CMSF for that matter) and I had a real challenege to work out AI Plan timings. So any and all comments most welcome

Just uploaded to the Repository so it'll take a day or so to clear there. In the meantime (the next seven days) you can grab it at the following link:

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...fb5bf1ec5c2cc2

Note this link will expire after seven days - although it should then be available at The Repository.

Okay, can't load it either, running out of memory as well. :twitch:

No idea hat System georgeMC has, but 2GB of RAM aren't enough. Apparently one should have a Win7 system with at least 4GB of RAM, preferably more. Seems I'll have to buy myself a new machine once the Eastern Front makes a reappearance...

How far did you come? My loading bar was at 36%...

I wonder if we can get this one to run if we set all the details to "Low". Either way this is just stupid, but at least proves one thig: The engine in its current state will NOT support Eastern Front armor battles.

I got to 29% as well. I wonder how big George MC rig is.

Its not designed for huge battles anyway is it?

Technically the old CMx1 games were neither because one had to micromanage everything... :biggrin1:

Intended for company-size action up to battalion at the most the way C2 and battlefield tactics work and I guess it shows in this one.

Got an answer from George - he's running with 4GB on a Win7 machine. If it's taking him 5-10 minutes for a turn to load, we haven't got a chance unless we also have 4GB and a comparable PCU (he got a 3GHz dual-core). Too bad...

Interesting... and odd. Would be nice to know if anyone besides him can get this thing to run. But it may be he's NOT running with maxed settings like we usually do...

Acually it does work on mine... quite fast as well actually.

However Im not really interested in something this big. Seems I didnt give it long enough to load first time round.

CMNormandy2011-07-0423-06-57-02.jpg

This is just part of the OOB

So it IS the RAM. Good to know.

But honestly... HOLY. CRAP. That'll take at least an hour just setting everything up. Not for me either, disliked these big battles in CMx1 as well.

Back