Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scoring, game endings, surrenders, ceasefires

P

PoorOldSpike

Apart from racking up points for killing enemy units, you can also score big points (the amount varies from map to map) for being the sole occupier of the objective area at the end of the game, but no matter how many units you've got in there, you'll both get zero points if the other player has anything in there such as just a couple of beat-up tank crew, or a light tank or whatever.

Example- Hiram Sedai (attacking as Germans) and me used our recent QB (which he won) to experiment with the way the games scoring system works.
First we ceasefired prematurely after he'd wiped out 4 of my tanks but I hadn't killed any of his.
Final screen, the Germans have stopped short of the Obj Area (yellow shaded rectangle)-
hs2-1.gif

And the computer awards the Americans the victory with a score of 671 to 209.
Obviously the big juicy green tick in the US 'Secured ground' column scored big points for them, because they had units in the Objective area (yellow rectangle) but the Germans didn't.
sco6.gif

We then went back a few turns and replayed the final few turns differently, and this time the Germans pressed some of their units into the Obj Area, then we hit ceasefire again-
hs1-1.gif

And this time the comp awarded Germany the victory! The Americans had a few units in the Obj Area, but by also occupying the area the Germans had ripped the green tick from the US grasp and the area became neutral, with neither player getting points for it, so it was the kill points alone that gave Germany victory!
sco1.gif

Incidentally, if you run your cursor over the columns in the final stats sheet, 4 other screens come up so you can analyse your points breakdown in detail if you want to.
For example here's the full set of screens for the premature ceasefire when the Germans stopped short of the Obj Area-

sco6.gif

sco7.gif

sco8.gif

sco9.gif

sco10.gif

And these are the screens for when the Germans pressed home into the Obj Area-

sco1.gif

sco2.gif

sco3.gif

sco4.gif

sco5.gif

So the point to all of this is sieze your objective at all costs???? Agressive attack or what???

BTW - Thanks for the lesson and education.

I've still not fully worked out the maths behind the scoring, (oh god how i hate maths) but reading about scen creating in the manual, it seems the designers can set certain percentages of enemy troops which must be killed to get extra bonus pts, and can also assign points to obj areas etc, so perhaps the computer randomly allocates such points to QB's, I don't know.
Personally my strategy would be to press hard for objectives in every game, UNLESS I started taking heavy losses in which case I'd break off the attack and go sulk..

you killed one of my men?

you bastard, you killed Hans!

good lesson this flag type area. It seems that a gamey flag rush may still have an impact in this game but keep in mind that in case of a close draw, it will add some more time.

Depedning on the number and size of the objectives, one or two objecives alone, will not have you win the game if you tak too heavy losses and/or onflict too few casualties on the enemy side - all depends on the scenario and what the designer thought were fitting victory conditions.

And if you couple that with one really funny parameter - ammo preservation - you're in for hurt. because gung-ho trigger-happy all-out attacks (like Spike does them) will eat your ammo up faster than a fire a snowball...

If my oppo wants to go through a battle conserving his ammo, I say "go ahead--please!"..:)

Me, I'll stick with these guys mindset-

"The day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire"-Rommel

"Boot 'em, don´t spatter 'em"- Guderian

"Inflict the maximum amount of wound,death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time"- Patton

"We need to DESTROY, not attack, not damage, not surround. I want to DESTROY the [Iraqi] Republican Guard"- Schwarzkopf

"The preponderance of the Republican Guard divisions outside of Baghdad are now dead. I find it interesting when folks say we're softening them up. We're not softening them up, we're killing them"- Gen. Michael Moseley USAF

"The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence"-Hitler

"The best diplomat is a fully-charged phaser bank"- Scotty,Star Trek

"Never fear to use weapons of mass destruction, let the fear be your enemies"- POS

ooh, I like this!

"Blessed are the cheesemakers" - Life of Brian
"Damnit Mike, put some clothes on and stop dancing on the front lawn!" - Hiram's wife

EDIT - serious mode on

I seldom run out of ammo in this game because my fragile panzertruppen are usually dead 30 minutes in. I need to remember my overwatch/bounding overwatch lessons.

SWEEP THE OBJECTIVE AREA CLEAR

I just ran a series of small tests to re-confirm that to get points for occupying the area, you MUST drive out or kill all enemy units from it.
The map below awarded 400 pts (different maps award different points) to the sole occupier at the end of the game, but if both players occupied it, it stayed neutral and they both got zero points.
It doesn't seem to matter the size of unit you've got in there, for example the German has 3 Panthers in this zone, but the USA only has a 2-man sniper team in it, but that's enough to keep it neutral.

ob-zone.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURRENDERS AND CEASEFIRES

I've also been testing them and found that a Surrender awards the other player maximum kill points for all your units just as if he'd killed them all (even if many were still alive), and it also awards him maximum objective area points even if he had no units in there, while you on the other hand, get zero points for anything.

A ceasefire on the other hand is much less drastic, and simply locks the current scores in place. (i.e.- you get points for whatever enemy units you've killed, and points if you were sole occupier of the obj area)

Personally I always surrender to make a clean break if I know I haven't a chance of winning, so why drag it out like a messy divorce, ha ha!
But if I think I'm on course for a draw, or am possibly winning, i might discuss a mutual ceasefire with my oppo rather than drag it out.

Incidentally don't let yourself be bullied into surrendering or ceasefiring if you don't want to, for example one guy was annoyed and kept saying to me- "you're beat, so why don't you surrender?", but what he didn't know was that I'd got a small squad in the obj area which stopped him getting points for it, but I wasn't going to tell him that or he'd go hunt them down.

Also, if its a tourney where scores are taken into account to determine rankings, think twice before surrendering or ceasefiring if it's going to mean you slip down the rankings.
(Incidentally I can't surrender in any of my Cmbn tourney games because it'd give a big dollop of points to my oppo at the expense of the other competitors)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME ENDINGS

I'm still testing this, but from what I've seen so far, QB's don't automatically end, not even if you or your oppo have got no more units left, and not even if the game has run its full length!
For example a 30-turn game will apparently always go into overtime to 35 turns or more, and it seems the only way to stop it is to agree to cease fire!

One way round it would be for both players to agree before the start of the game to mutually hit Ceasefire on whatever turn they decide upon, for example after 15 or 20 or 30 turns or whatever.

Bit confused by the scoring algorithm...I want to peruse the battlefront forums and see if they posted anything on it...Maybe we can all get a better grasp about this.

Incidentally don't let yourself be bullied into surrendering or ceasefiring if you don't want to, for example one guy was annoyed and kept saying to me- "you're beat, so why don't you surrender?", but what he didn't know was that I'd got a small squad in the obj area which stopped him getting points for it, but I wasn't going to tell him that or he'd go hunt them down.

Yes, I was quite annoyed, as I had rolled over POS with the loss of but one tank, and what I thought was complete control/superiority in the OBJs. As I was unfamiliar with the CMBN scoring and was in the CMX1 mindset that I would still get points for the OBJs, I put my tanks in defensive positions and waited impatiently for the end of game. I spent the next 15 or so turns cycling through the load saved game screens cursing POS and his stubborn hide, only to learn that I wasn't even a contender for the tourney because of my flawed execution. Lessons well learned.
Tell me POS, as a sop to my wounded ego, has anyone else only lost one tank in taking it to you?

..I put my tanks in defensive positions and waited impatiently for the end of game.......
Tell me POS, as a sop to my wounded ego, has anyone else only lost one tank in taking it to you?

Rankings leader Narsus lost 0 tanks AND he controlled the obj zone, that's why he's rankings leader..;)
I was tempted to tell you-"hey don't put your tanks on the defence, use them to demolish every house in the obj area where I might have guys hiding", and I'm also tempted to give other guys various bits of advice during play, but hell you're all adult wargamers and don't need me to nanny you along, there are enough cmbn tactical posts and stuff floating around that you can read for yourselves..;)

No heartburn here POS, I greatly enjoyed learning from you, rather than reading, it was much more fun! Was curious as to how well I did in relation to my peers other than points, as I know why I sucked in that area.
And thanks again for taking on this seemingly masochistic tourney!

VARIABLE ENDINGS?

Unlike old Cm1, it appears Cmbn games always have an inbuilt variable ending, or else they run on forever, I don't know.
For example despite setting 'Game Length 30 turns', I'm finding every QB will go into overtime, the numbers turn red after the 30th turn (circled below) and the game continues into turn 31, 32, 33 etc, so what me and my oppos do is to hit Ceasefire after turn 30 as soon as the numbers turn red, otherwise it could roll on forever or until the program decides to stop it.
(I ran a 30-turn test and it went on to about turn 38, so i got fed up of waiting and ended it myself)

ovtime.gif

Back