Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Sergeant Alvin C. York - US Army, Sept. 2, 1964

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
york.gif

Alvin Cullum York (born on December 13, 1887) was one of the most decorated american soldiers in World War.-

With the U.S. entry into World War One York was drafted into 328th Regiment, 82nd Infantry. Once in France, York earned lifetime fame for his part in an attack in the Argonne Forest against German machine gun positions on 8 October 1918. York, an acting Corporal, led 17 men in action against a German stronghold, the aim being to secure the position and return with German prisoners.

Initially successful without coming under fire, the small expedition took a number of prisoners before the Germans launched a heavy counterattack. With 11 of York's men guarding the captured prisoners (and with the other six killed) York resolved to proceed alone and tackle the German gunners ranged against them.

Having shot some 17 gunners via sniping, York was charged by seven German soldiers who realised that he was operating on his own. He killed them all with his pistol. With the aid of a German Major captured earlier York brought in a total of 132 German prisoners, a remarkable feat.

He was well rewarded however, receiving lavish press coverage at home and the Congressional Medal of Honor, in addition to the French Croix de Guerre (and a fulsome citation from Supreme Allied Commander Ferdinand Foch).

Returning home to a New York City parade, York was awarded a gift of a farm by his home state, Tennessee.-

He died in 1964.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York.

And those machine guns were spitting fire and cutting down the undergrowth all around me something awful. And the Germans were yelling orders. You never heard such a racket in all of your life. I didn't have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush..
York at the hill where his actions earned him the Medal of Honor, three months after the end of World War I, February 7, 1919

During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle on mg's without one miss,but drew his .45 Colt automatic pistol and shot all six soldiers before they could reach him.
German First Lieutenant Paul Jürgen Vollmer, commander of the First Battalion, 120th Landwehr Infantry, emptied his pistol trying to kill York while he was contending with the machine guns. Failing to injure York, and seeing his mounting losses, he offered in English to surrender the unit to York, who accepted. By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched 132 German prisoners back to the American lines. His actions silenced the German machine guns and were responsible for enabling the 328th Infantry to renew its attack to capture the Decauville Railroad.
York was promptly promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism. A few months later, following a thorough investigation, he was awarded the Medal of Honor, presented to York by the commanding general of the American Expeditionary Force, General John J. Pershing. The French Republic awarded him the Croix de Guerre and theLegion of Honor. Italy awarded him its Croce di Guerra al Merito.

Nothing occludes a good mod who knows his stuff. Bootie

Yes Louis.made thread. All cudos to him. i blindly reposted my awe of A. York.
and some c&p from wiki.

This is louis's thread .
And for me. Gary Coopers finest hour on film.
I love the great movies .

My favorite actor of all time in R Mitchum. A drunk with a star. that said. US marshall

Returning home to a New York City parade, York was awarded a gift of a farm by his home state, Tennessee.
i did not know this.
my god the govmt actuall gave more than shiney trinkets and words.as i understand that in past great acts were oft rewarded with land and homesteads.. even castles.
but in 1900's that is a rare thing.Reinforckng my opinion that the day royalty surrendered management to bureacracy.
Was the day humanity.died slowly but surely.

Returning home to a New York City parade, York was awarded a gift of a farm by his home state, Tennessee.
i did not know this.
my god the govmt actuall gave more than shiney trinkets and words.as i understand that in past great acts were oft rewarded with land and homesteads.. even castles.
but in 1900's that is a rare thing.Reinforckng my opinion that the day royalty surrendered management to bureacracy.
Was the day humanity.died slowly but surely.

I just saw this and wanted to clarify. It wasn't the federal or state government that gave him the land it was the Rotary Club of Nashville, Tennessee that helped organize the gift of the land which is located in Pall Mall TN. There is a whole story behind the land after he was gifted it. You can read about it here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York
His home is in a beautiful part of the state and he has a very nice grave area surrounded by family in a small graveyard near a small church. I have pictures somewhere and will try to find them to upload. His farm is now a state historic park.

He was supposedly a very humble man who just wanted to live his life and never really wanted to go to war. He attempted to be considered a conscientious objector but his request was rejected. But ultimately he became a man of honor who couldn't forsake his fellow soldier and rejected his conscientious objector request.

I know someone that is supposed to be one of Alvin's nephews, Elbert. He's a regular guy, a bit rough around the edges, but, has always been a solid friend.

OwsAgRg.png

Back