Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Shooting men in parachutes.

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw today on the news that the Turkmen militia claim to have shot two Russian SU-24 pilots while they were parachuting out of their disabled aircraft. This is bad. Putin will take a very dim view of this, as he should.

Here is "Bud" Peterson's WW2 story on shooting airmen who are abandoning their aircraft in parachutes. Gives me cold chills. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

one doesn't know what one is capable of until the situation arises I guess.

You are once again spot on with your analysis, had you told me I was capable of War Crimes and atrocities before the events, I would have shook my head and said..."never".

My understanding was that the shooting of bailing out pilots was always considered a big no and was incredibly rare at the start of the war and into the Battle for Britain etc. But as the war dragged on the rules slowly withered away. Ignoring the pilots, what about the poor paratroopers? Market Garden especially there's some horror stories due to poorly planned drop sites.

My understanding was that the shooting of bailing out pilots was always considered a big no and was incredibly rare at the start of the war and into the Battle for Britain etc. But as the war dragged on the rules slowly withered away. Ignoring the pilots, what about the poor paratroopers? Market Garden especially there's some horror stories due to poorly planned drop sites.

There is a difference between a bailed pilot and paratroopers ... the former is no longer active combatant ... the latter is fully armed and coming in to fight (similar to troops in landing craft or trucks) ... completely legit target. Allied troops had no qualms shooting down German paras in Crete and later ops if they could.

Shooting a bailed out pilot is concidered to be a war crime according to Geneva convention.
Shooting paratroopers or/and airborne troops is not.

Back