Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Slitherine Tournament - Will you be the ultimate Horse Lord?

Anyone want to help me prepare for the tourney? I could play a couple of "friendlies" just to get used to the army lists.....round one starts on the 12th so it would need to be a good turn rate. However, round 2 and 3 are over two weeks distant. The armies are;

Rd 1. Parthian (250BC-225AD) vs. Graeco-Bactria (250-130BC).

Rd 2. Sassanid Persian (224-349AD) vs Kushan (130BC-476AD)

Rd 3. Avar (558-631AD) vs Byzantine (579-599AD)

Played in there last tournament... got hammered twice, and won the third. The moves come in very quick, and your also on a time limit. The games are played on the same map (two games per a round). Not one for this "modern" period, but if you want to set up a dual game post the password and I give you a game. (2nd or 3rd games.)

Anyone want to help me prepare for the tourney? I could play a couple of "friendlies" just to get used to the army lists.....round one starts on the 12th so it would need to be a good turn rate. However, round 2 and 3 are over two weeks distant. The armies are;

Rd 1. Parthian (250BC-225AD) vs. Graeco-Bactria (250-130BC).

Rd 2. Sassanid Persian (224-349AD) vs Kushan (130BC-476AD)

Rd 3. Avar (558-631AD) vs Byzantine (579-599AD)

Likewise to @Nelson1812. Call me "Huckleberry".

huckleberry-hound-1958_L05.jpg

Set something up if you wish and advise of details. If we don't make enough progress with Round 1 before it starts, we can play Rounds 2 and 3 concurrent with the tournaments first round.

Gosh and tarnation! What the hay; I just signed up for this tournament as well . . . :shootero:

Last edited:
Played in there last tournament... got hammered twice, and won the third. The moves come in very quick, and your also on a time limit. The games are played on the same map (two games per a round). Not one for this "modern" period, but if you want to set up a dual game post the password and I give you a game. (2nd or 3rd games.)

I will set up a game from round 2 with you if that works.....Sassanid Persian (224-349AD) vs Kushan (130BC-476AD. The password will be .......JustWinBaby. Should have it done in a couple of minutes. Thanks!

Last edited:
Likewise to @Nelson1812. Call me "Huckleberry".

huckleberry-hound-1958_L05.jpg

Set something up if you wish and advise of details. If we don't make enough progress with Round 1 before it starts, we can play Rounds 2 and 3 concurrent with the tournaments first round.

Gosh and tarnation! What the hay; I just signed up for this tournament as well . . . :shootero:

I will set up the round 3 game for us...….Avar (558-631AD) vs Byzantine (579-599AD). The password will be... JustWinBaby. Should have it done shortly. Thanks!

Last edited:
Likewise! I went combined arms....sort of a "mini-horse lord."

I thought about it but decided against it. There's just too many horse archers in opposing armies for my liking. The Parthian list has no decent infantry to speak of. The Bactrian pikemen are excellent but expensive and just too vulnerable to enemy horse archers.
Let's see how mobile archery and the shock of impact work out for me . . . :2charge:

@Wellsonian - both of our opponents (Bluefin and manolo_maximo) are listed in the top section of the "Horse Lords Tourney" page and have trophy cups associated with them. You and I are shown likewise. I think this is the first tournament for my opponent as well as for myself.
Time to mount up storm riders! :shootero:

@Wellsonian - I figured it out. That Scores: FOG2 Horse Lords Tourney page is a close-to-real-time update of all tournament matches playing on the Slithirine server. Once you start accumulating victory points against your opponent, your match box scores get updated and then overall comparisons posted to that top section. Scores will change as everyone's matches make progress.

@Wellsonian / @Rico / @Nelson1812 / @Mad Mike - game reference question.
Is there somewhere I can view the unit statistics for each army list? In this tournament I've made the mistake of thinking that all "armored" and "superior" heavy cavalry lancers are about equal. Clearly they are not. My ignorance produced several tactical errors. Basically, I'm looking for a kind of composite spreadsheet for all units in an army list so that I can compare quality, armor, skill, etc. attributes of all units in each army list against other army lists. Sort of like the source document used to produce the individual melee results details we see in the game. Does that make sense? Is there such a thing? Where might it be? Thanks, troopers. Garry Owen!

@Wellsonian - I figured it out. That Scores: FOG2 Horse Lords Tourney page is a close-to-real-time update of all tournament matches playing on the Slithirine server. Once you start accumulating victory points against your opponent, your match box scores get updated and then overall comparisons posted to that top section. Scores will change as everyone's matches make progress.

Is there somewhere I can view the unit statistics for each army list? In this tournament I've made the mistake of thinking that all "armored" and "superior" heavy cavalry lancers are about equal. Clearly they are not. My ignorance produced several tactical errors. Basically, I'm looking for a kind of composite spreadsheet for all units in an army list so that I can compare quality, armor, skill, etc. attributes of all units in each army list against other army lists. Sort of like the source document used to produce the individual melee results details we see in the game. Does that make sense? Is there such a thing? Where might it be? Thanks, troopers. Garry Owen!

Dunno -- never come across a database like that -- just always dived in and played by trial and error. ;)

Not that I know of .. sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back