Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[BOOK] Sniper On The Eastern Front

Thanks for your review @Bootie. I also have the book (there's a chain of arts/remaindered bookshops called The Works in England - they usually have lots of cheap military books), so I picked it up for about three quid. I agree about the gruesome "Sven Hassel" quality - we seem to have had a similar teenage :). Some of it is so horrible that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone of a sensitive nature.

I found it mostly interesting, especially as a German POV of the Eastern Front. One thing I should mention, it says in the introduction that "Sepp Allerberger" is a pseudonym to keep his real identity quiet, so that's why you can't find him on a list of Knights Cross recipients. Of course the guy might be a fantasist and liar, difficult to tell.

One thing I should mention, it says in the introduction that "Sepp Allerberger" is a pseudonym to keep his real identity quiet, so that's why you can't find him on a list of Knights Cross recipients.

It has been translated from German... in the original German book a pseudonym Franz Karner was used but for the British print his real name Josef Sepp Allerberger was inserted but the introduction stating it was a pseudonym was not changed.

Oh, I see, thanks. (but that's bit sloppy of the editors!)

I looked him up on the list of Kts Cross holders: you are right, he's not there. I must say this makes me tend to agree with you - if he's lied about something so important then it seems reasonable to assume that a lot of what he said is BS.

I have read a lot of German war stories.

The thing that always sticks out is that individual German tanks or soldiers kill hundreds and hundreds of their enemies, lose a man or two heroically, and still manage to lose battles and the war. It is as if they are fighting ants and not other human beings.

Is this book of the same type?

Back