Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Spitfire!

Some years ago I visited the Air Show in Duxford, England. There started five or six Spitfires - that was really impressive! The best sound ever! Better than any loud motorcycle! And when they flew over the airfield, waving their wings, I could get a little glimpse of what it might have been like for the British pilots to return from a dogfight with the Luftwaffe over the channel and to fight for your life and country with everything you have. That really really deeply impressed me. My English is not good enough to explain what I was thinking and feeling in this moment. It was just there - overwhelming and deep respect!
And of course it was very very interesting to see all the other planes, the B-17, the P-47 Thunderbolt and many more - that was also very instructive. It was like having a little piece of original WWII in front of you. That was extremely intense! The aircraft museum there is also definitely worth a visit.

If you have the chance and Duxford is within your reach somehow, go there!

I've also been to Duxford for the annual Warbirds air Display. I went in 2015, there were 17 Spitfire at the show, which at the end of the day did a formation flight around the airfield. Truly spectacular. As Shorker states, something to add to the bucket list if you're even slightly interested in history.

Spitfire flight starts around 12 minutes 30 seconds in.

I was lucky enough to be out on a bike (ironically it was a german machine) in Lincolnshire a few years ago with a mate when a Spitfire did a victory roll right over our heads as we rode along - something I'll never forget, and only bettered to my mind by the visceral screaming howl of the Vulcan Bomber (XH588) I saw and heard whilst at the Fairford Air Show a few years ago.

There's something so evocative about these aircraft, and the general public of blighty will never have the same affection for an aircraft again.

Steve

@Shorker I've not really considered going to an airshow before, but you have made an excellent case to visit Duxford. It's only 90mins from me.. I got a bit of that feeling you glimpsed when seeing this, the video footage doesn't quite do it justice. He did 3 flypasts and on the last one gave a 'wing wave' as he flew off and I got a small lump in my throat which is unusual as I am normally quite a stoic person. Many thanks.

@DoubleD I only thought there were about 3 or 4 Spitfires left, I'm very pleased to hear that there's enough to muster a squadron. Duxford looks very impressive.

Some years ago I visited the Air Show in Duxford, England. There started five or six Spitfires - that was really impressive! The best sound ever! Better than any loud motorcycle! And when they flew over the airfield, waving their wings, I could get a little glimpse of what it might have been like for the British pilots to return from a dogfight with the Luftwaffe over the channel and to fight for your life and country with everything you have. That really really deeply impressed me. My English is not good enough to explain what I was thinking and feeling in this moment. It was just there - overwhelming and deep respect!
And of course it was very very interesting to see all the other planes, the B-17, the P-47 Thunderbolt and many more - that was also very instructive. It was like having a little piece of original WWII in front of you. That was extremely intense! The aircraft museum there is also definitely worth a visit.

If you have the chance and Duxford is within your reach somehow, go there!
Been to Duxford several times not only have they got the some of the best aircraft, they have a good selection of Tanks plus WW2 dug outs, great place for a visit

Back