Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Strategy Request

H

Hiram Sedai

Gentlemen, may I please ask all of you who answer to "Poor old Spike" to help explain the convoluted QB Purchasing Experience?

Thanks in advance.

This thread might help-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?8436-Human-purchasing-for-Scens-and-QB-s

Basically you must buy a formation first, which is usually gigantic and too expensive, then you have to rummage through it and delete bits to bring the cost down out of the red in the same way as a sculptor starts with a big chunk of marble, then has to chip bits off it.

For example if you buy a tank battalion with a zillion tanks, you have to go through it deleting companies and platoons until you're left with just a few and the cost has come down into the green..:)

When I played CMBO/ CMBB/CMAK

I would purchase some armor first, then arty, then mortar and then spend the rest on infantry

same in this game thus far?

My buying policy in old CM has always been to have a nice balanced mix of Tanks and Infantry, roughly one tank to every infantry platoon, and i'll continue that with CMBN, except that i'll make it one tank to one infantry squad.
So if I have 6 tanks in CMBN, i'll have about 6 squads to go with them.
I rarely bother with arty or aircraft or baby tanks and baby guns.

However the downside of buying your own stuff is that you can cherrypick your favourite units all the time and you get bored, so I don't mind letting the comp pick my forces because you get a nice bit of variety every game.
Commanders in the real-life field rarely got to choose what units they had,because of shortages etc and had to make do with what high command allocated to them.

Eh, this is like a mix of the formation purchase of the full editor in CMSF, and the cherry picking of CMx1. If I want an all armor force, I buy a cheap FO formation, and then add a bunch of hand picked tanks to it. If I want a mix, I will buy and Infantry Battalion and whittle it down to a company or so with support, and then add stuff into the battalions C2 chain.

I got to say, at least for me, this new system they implemented is a bit counter-intuitive.

When I first fired up CMBN and started messing with QB's I thought maybe the game was broken or something.

It was, and still is, really hard for me to conceive why on earth you would not make this the way it was in cxm1. I built up from individual purchasing at a squad or unit level whatever I needed to put together for the engagement. And it provided the optimal amount of flexibility in design.

Now, I have to buy like a battalion of troops and then whittle it down. It doesn't remotely pass a common sense test. If you ran this concept by anyone not familiar with this game, or ever ran this by a useability test it would be comical to watch a new user first encounter this QB menu, nothing about it could be less intuitive.

Well, that's the end of that rant. :tape2:

It is definitely counter intuitive. Now that I have figured it out I like it fine enough. Maybe they opted to go top down to force a more realistic chain of command, forcing more realistic battles. I never played CMX1 so I can only guess.

I got to say, at least for me, this new system they implemented is a bit counter-intuitive.

When I first fired up CMBN and started messing with QB's I thought maybe the game was broken or something.

It was, and still is, really hard for me to conceive why on earth you would not make this the way it was in cxm1. I built up from individual purchasing at a squad or unit level whatever I needed to put together for the engagement. And it provided the optimal amount of flexibility in design.

Now, I have to buy like a battalion of troops and then whittle it down. It doesn't remotely pass a common sense test. If you ran this concept by anyone not familiar with this game, or ever ran this by a useability test it would be comical to watch a new user first encounter this QB menu, nothing about it could be less intuitive.

Well, that's the end of that rant. :tape2:

I couldn't agree more, it's a very clumsy way of picking units.

I couldn't agree more, it's a very clumsy way of picking units.

It is pretty clumsy. It takes some getting used to and between that and the point value changes it can be difficult to get some of your favorite combo's that you used in CMx1. It also just takes more time.

But after a few games I actually prefer this method. I like how everything you pick gets attached to your starting formation HQ's, which makes more sense to me realism-wise and lets you get HQ bonuses to all those random single units.

I'm sure I'll get use to it, but I still think from a flexibility stand point making the buttons on the left have an option of single unit purchase, or platoon level purchase as an option seems like a glaring omission to useability for new players to the game.

You are right that it does a good job of hooking up units with C2, that is good. They need to bring back an alt command for command lines though.

Back