Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Strikeforce game

Hardradi

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Question, does anyone know why Battlefront's original Strikeforce game didn't directly cover the Afghanistan War (2001+) and the Iraq War (2003+)?

Why go for a fictional war in Syria, is it because there wasn't enough content?

Opinions about modern wargaming are mixed - it's really common to hear things like "I don't game anything after WW2" or the like.

I imagine that sticking to hypothetical near-future conflicts means that you can avoid some of that, whilst still covering the essentials (i.e., Syria is close enough to Iraq so that the TO&E and tactical considerations are similar).

Personally, the idea baffles me (I don't fundamentally see any moral difference in modelling any period), but I appreciate that not all think the same way.

Opinions about modern wargaming are mixed - it's really common to hear things like "I don't game anything after WW2" or the like.
<snipped>

I would say "preferences" instead of "opinions". I think it's about personal inclinations in addition to individual tastes. My Viet Nam era experiences are such that I don't play Viet Nam wargames. The WW2 experience, however, fascinates me. Given my limited time to actually play, I just don't make the time for modern conflicts as all my efforts go towards the Second World War. As my virtual self thinks when liberating France from the Bosche, "Viva la differance!"

If memory serves it mostly came down to what would be more of a conventional war (tanks, air force, arty, etc.) that both sides bring to war. Also what Bootie said, sh!t still going on in the stan.
CMSF was a solid war game in its own right, had a bumpy start but good stuff. I bought it for a bit of an appetizer for the eventual WWII return.
Also the Afghan/Soviet game was made by a Russian dev (forget who they are).
CMBS is great, NATO vs Russia.

Back