Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Stumbling onto parade ground with boots unpolished

julianj

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long-time wargamer, started with airfix figures, moved onto lead napoleonics in 20/15mm, played D&D and other RPGs, occasional larping. Now play mainly computer games, inc Combat Mission. My mum said wargaming was just an adolescent phase I would grow out of.....:) some 50+ years later I am still going...

Greetings, @julianj! You should soon receive @Hedgehog's Welcome Wagon hand-outs! They make good reading.

When you are ready for H2H play, consider using CMHelper to manage your matches.
Then, post your first request for a match either here or at the forum for the game(s) you own.

Welcome to The Few Good Men. You've come to the right place for prolonged adolescence! Good luck and good gaming! Have fun.

Big welcome to the Club @julianj The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you.
I am still doing at 81 this year

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Greetings @julianj

Howdy, hello and please make yourself at home, we're a free wheeling bunch there are a few rules (Hah - Number 1 - Beware of Zinzan, you'll understand soon) -
1. Remove your shoes if you go upstairs.
2. Whatever you do DON'T ask about the upstairs bathroom.
3. Don't feed the Meat's.
4. No we've never seen that person ever, Officer! is a good first answer.
5. Amusement is mandatory.

etc

Hi, I'm a long-time wargamer, started with airfix figures, moved onto lead napoleonics in 20/15mm, played D&D and other RPGs, occasional larping. Now play mainly computer games, inc Combat Mission.
Similiar route/history to several of us, aren't we a boring lot........ :)

My mum said wargaming was just an adolescent phase I would grow out of.....:)
My Mum used to just sigh - though I had a Table tennis table for a battlefield and setup monster Napoleonics or 1/300th WW2 battles that lasted days and occasionally weeks. (She spent a lot of time sighing about him I recall.)

some 50+ years later I am still going...
Hah a few years bouncing round here will either age you or make you wish for death :)

One other amusing thing: my anti-war parents and relatives, once they got the idea that I was mad on plastic kits, sent me for birthdays etc - civilian airliners, cargo ships, sports cars, and other things (Henry the Frickin VIII??? - the obese git wasn't even a great general). OK, the occasional spacecraft was welcome, but I was building Scharnhorst, every kind of tank and military aircraft, and painting figures. No time for the other stuff. I soon started detailing, weathering and converting tanks, because there weren't enough around. No Jagdpanthers back then.

I would open the boxes, maybe read the instructions and see if there were interesting transfers (decals) or whatever....then the kits would go in the back of the cupboard to collect dust. Zero interest in making anything without a gun.

Years later my parents downsized to move to a retirement bungalow. They asked about these kits. I was surprised - I'd forgotten about them. I just told them to throw the things out.

My mum was cannier than that. She went on eBay and found that some of them had become collectors items, particularly as they were unmade. She sold the kits, some of them for 20 quid or so, and gave the money to charity. I was pleased about that.

So, so glad that the US Army had moved away from black boots by the time I joined. No polishing for me!

Surely one just gets one's man to do that, what!

Sorry, @Zinzan , I don't get the message. :( (non original English speaker understanding problem :p) Google translater doesn't help either.:confused:

Is it that (below) what you mean? :cool: (just click fast forward to 4:11 and following)

Sorry @Shorker

"One's Man" is how the upper classes would refer to their personal servants. So one would get a member of your household staff to polish shoes.

In addition there is/was a military tradition where officers would have access to a soldier to carry out personal services - Fnarrrrr :) (No NOT that type of personal service - sheesh) , in theorey/practice this was to allow the officer to concentrate on their proper role.

Sorry, @Zinzan , I don't get the message. :( (non original English speaker understanding problem :p) Google translater doesn't help either.

I wasn't an officer and the US Army doesn't have bat men anyways.

Back