Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

T-34/85 versus Tiger

RichieRich

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I've noticed when playing CMRT that my Tigers get knocked out frontally from T-34/85's from under 1000 meters. I have read many books that have documented a T-34 with the 76.2 couldn't knock out a Tiger frontally at point blank range, but what I did not know was an 85mm gunned T-34 was lethal to a Tiger, and Panther for that matter, frontally under 1000 yards. Has anyone read anything regarding the 85mm gun of the T-34 being able to knock out Tigers and Panthers? I keep doing the same stupid mistake over and over because it's ingrained in my head the T-34 76.2 can't knock a Tiger out in the front but I'm taking on the 85mm gunned version and I wanted to know if this is truly accurate, not that I don't trust Battlefront. I appreciate any and all comments! Thanks buddies!

Rich

I read a book where it was said that even the T-34/85 has to get under 1000 metres to a Tiger-I to have a real chance to knock him of frontally. I don´t know anymore what the percentage of a successful frontal penetration was then but it was in every case better then to fire from longer distance since even the 85mm gun had massive problems to get a hit then.

Greetings

In good old CMBB the Tiger and Panther were vulnerable out to 1,000 meters against the 85mm. I didn't believe it myself so I set up a gunnery range and ran it over and over again, and consistently the 85mm could penetrate the Tiger's front hull and the Panther's turret front, even from as far as 1200 meters sometimes. Not every hit was a full penetration or even a partial, but enough were that almost every time the German tank was knocked out.

I really appreciate everyone's comments on this. I guess from now on I will have to actually try and use tactics to battle the T-34/85 instead of lumbering into an engagement, now knowing my Tigers and Panthers ARE vulnerable to the 85mm gunned T-34's. Thanks again.

Rich

This is from the battle of Ogledow which I posted about here.

'An IS-2 belonging to Guards Senior Lieutenant Udalov opened fire at 800 meters, destroying two Tiger IIs, one of which also burned.
The German tanks retreated, regrouped, and advanced on Ponik.
Lieutenant Belyakov's IS-2 was in ambush in that direction.
Opening fire at the column from 1000 meters, he set fire to one Tiger II. The rest turned back.'

Back