Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Tesla Battery

W

WinOrLose

We had our Tesla Powerwall fitted the other day.

It appears to be working well and the first fully day performance was pretty good considering the battery was empty. I am sure if it had some charge in it from the install day we could have had a zero grid use day.

Today on the other was pretty poor as it rained or cloudy all day - having said that we still managed 7kw from the PV and 5kw from the battery.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

That's interesting, I am glad to say we very rarely have a power problem in the UK, it's always there on tap

I think in the US a lot of people have them for back up as they have a lot more power outages. I'm using mine to collect the solar power generated during the day that would otherwise be wasted.

Nice, yes you'll decrease your imported electricity significantly with this, especially over the next few months. I have a customer with smaller 4.8kWh battery and he has only imported 10% of his electricity since the beginning of April. You may well have zero import until well into the Autmn, however that does depend on your PV array and energy usage.

The Tesla Powerwall 2 batteries come in both storage and back up variants. Back up is typically more expensive, most grid connect batteries in the UK are storage only.

Last edited:
Nice, yes you'll decrease your imported electricity significantly with this, especially over the next few months. I have a customer with smaller 4.8kWh battery and he has only imported 10% of his electricity since the beginning of April. You may well have zero import until well into the Autmn, however that does depend on your PV array and energy usage.

The Tesla Powerwall 2 batteries come in both storage and back up variants. Back up is typically more expensive, most grid connect batteries in the UK are storage only.

We have a backup gateway but had it set to 0% as I'm not expecting any natural disasters soon.....I'm not sure if you can get storage only on new orders?

Not a fan of having those electronics located under the hosebib but that is just the plumber in me.

We have a backup gateway but had it set to 0% as I'm not expecting any natural disasters soon.....I'm not sure if you can get storage only on new orders?

My supplier was able to offer a gateway with or without backup.

The only bit I am worried about is the FIT meter - everything else can be mounted externally.

Yes the isolator and battery will be IP rated for outdoor use, the FiT meter won't.

I think in the US a lot of people have them for back up as they have a lot more power outages. I'm using mine to collect the solar power generated during the day that would otherwise be wasted.

Here in the Netherlands we have a very nice system: whatever power you collect and isný used is put back in the main electricity grid. And is 1 on 1 detracted from the power you use from the maingrid when the panels don't deliver enough.

However this system is purely in place to entice people tot place solarpanels on their roof because in this way the investment to buy and place them is earned back within 7 years. It will be scrapped in 2 years.

Why is the Dutch government scrapping this system?

For the same reason the UK gov is scrapping feed in tariff.

A friend gets £1,000 per year for a 2.5kw system, I get £300 for a 5kw system and my neighbour is considering panels but he will get £0.

Why is the Dutch government scrapping this system?

Costs to much. For example: one KwH costs about € 0,20. So every KwH you generate with your panels is put back in the grid and delivers you € 0,20. In the system you probably earn € 0,05 for every KwH which is put back in the grid.

It is is a way for the government to encourage people to buy solar panels. Without it less people wil do so.

Back