Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Battle of Capracotta - CMFI QB campaign

I'm not sure why your Pixeltruppen are leaving the security of their foxholes? One thing I always do is invest the points at purchase to bump all my troops up to VETERAN experience at least. Sometimes I'll bump my tanks crews or gun crews up even more. I think it's worth the cost to get slightly better troops. At Sonnino I have had several Pixeltruppen stay in their foxholes after getting shot at. In fact, I was able to keep a team from running and stick to their foxholes even with the advancing enemy infantry and the Brummbar blasting away. Unfortunately the team was wiped out, but they stayed in their position and I think caused a delay on enemy troops moving down the main road into the town. At Ponte Galliano, that last MG-42 team on my right flank (in the orchard) is finally surrounded, but they have been fighting for their lives! The MG is blasting forward and killed two of three troops in one of my teams assaulting with a single burst. The other MG crew are providing flank security to the gun and shooting at my troops, also inflicting causalities.

This PIAT team survived death from above as the mortar rounds constantly fell around them, completed a water crossing, ran across an open field and moved to the very front of the fighting to fire off this amazing shot! Took out one of the Marders protecting the objective.
PG2 8.JPG

A couple of exciting, and expensive turns for both sides.
The (hopefully) last Marder at Ponte Galliano was taken out in a close tank duel.
PG2 10.JPG

The monstrous Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar at Sonnino shrugged off a direct frontal hit from my M-10, began to back up and took another hit. This second shot penetrated and detonated all the remaining 150mm ammunition in an explosion that shook the entire battlefield. I think there was a quick pause in the fighting as all the Pixeltruppen were knocked off their feet! (note the size of the explosion in scale to the battlefield)
Sonn 7.JPG
Having dispatched the two German tanks on my right flank, I got cocky and tried to speed run an M-10 along the flank to cause havoc in @Rico's rear area. A well placed shot from a suspected Panzerschreck blasted it.
Sonn 8.JPG

Your M-10 in the village must have some fancy modern sights... and/or stealth equipment... -- he could see through the smoke, my guys couldn't? -- I caught glimpses of him, but not when he fired despite having theoretical LOS on him.

Happened in another battle where your Sherman nailed my StuG where your tank was completely obscured by dust/smoke from my POV.

Maybe in the game, if you're inside a cloud of smoke/dust you can see out, but enemy can't see in? :unsure:

That M-10 that got the Marder was also invisible...

Smoke is interesting at times. I was watching the M-10 vs Marder fight and at first the M-10 couldn't see the Marder either. At the end of a turn, the Marder became a viable target and I told the M-10 to shoot. First round missed and hit a tree (but the shrapnel from the round did take out a running troop), the second round hit.

Smoke is interesting at times. I was watching the M-10 vs Marder fight and at first the M-10 couldn't see the Marder either. At the end of a turn, the Marder became a viable target and I told the M-10 to shoot. First round missed and hit a tree (but the shrapnel from the round did take out a running troop), the second round hit.

I guess it just falls under "idiotic spotting things that make no sense in CM"...

I've had weird experiences with armour spotting through smoke as well.
I lost a stationary veteran Panther to an approaching M10 once.
My opponent speculated it might be easier to spot with an open topped turret (although from memory, both tanks were buttoned).

Perhaps it is RNG.

Final assault on the manor house at the Ponte Galliano winery. The defenders used the "fatal funnel" effect of the entrance way to their advantage by repulsing a few attempts by my Pixeltruppen to secure the objective. The remaining enemy HQ unit did inflict several causalities and went out in a blaze of glory, rushing at my troops. Not sure if it was the "run at the enemy when under fire" bug or the fact that they were trapped and my one remaining M-10 was blasting the outside walls with HE rounds. Maybe they were forced to flee and that was their only option. Wonder what the situation would have been with the new patch?
PG2 11.JPG

TURN 5 is a wrap and it's Allied Victories all round, leaving 4 Axis units battered and licking their wounds.

Axis not really able to attack any more and from a competitive standpoint, the campaign is basically over as @Paleolithic Monk can just steamroller up the Axis lines through Corvino Airfield and Veroli at will using the American units which are just about unstoppable in these quick battles as it turns out.

mini-camp Turn 5d.jpg

The TURN 6 moves played out -- three battles and the Axis now firmly on the defensive.

1. Btn Kampfgruppe Steiner withdraws into reserve -- so 5th Btn Grenadier Guards capture CAPRACOTTA unopposed. (the 1 Btn Scots Guards moved up in support, but were not needed)

Cape Town Highlanders attack into FAUGLIA PASS -- 1. Btn Kampfgruppe Fritz defending.

2nd Btn 24th RCT attacking CORVINO AIRFIELD with 2. Btn Kampfgruppe Fritz defending

1st Btn 24th RCT attacking VEROLI, with Fallschirmjager Btn Faust defending (that's the first map edge Allied Victory objective within reach)

This'll be the first battles using the new CMFI patch -- let's see what effect this has on game play.

mini-camp Turn 6A.jpg

The Allied push to secure Corvino airfield is approaching H-Hour.
Scouts from the 1st Battalion 24th Regimental Combat Team have moved into an observation position. They are reporting a large, open field dominated by the airfield and a few hills opposite on the German side. A small water feature, scattered trees and a few hills are available to help cover an approach.
Cov AF scouts 1.JPG

So here's an overhead of the upcoming battle. I have to consider the distance to the objectives, lack of cover from the friendly tree lines to even get to the objectives and the best/ safest manner to maneuver my Pixeltruppen so they don't get cut down before getting close to the fight.
Cov AF 1.JPG

Back