Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Island War: The Rico Reich vs The Republic of Gunn

@Badger73 please let me know when you play the 007 file, my CM Helper is still confused.

@Nathangun - File 024 has been ready for you since Tuesday, 46 hour ago. May I report to @Rico that the Reich's brilliant defense has stupified the Republican offense? Or is your CMHelper still on the fritz? Don't forget to clean up your campsites as you depart our national park . . . :shootero:

@Nathangun - File 024 has been ready for you since Tuesday, 46 hour ago. May I report to @Rico that the Reich's brilliant defense has stupified the Republican offense? Or is your CMHelper still on the fritz? Don't forget to clean up your campsites as you depart our national park . . . :shootero:

Sorry, wasn't able to get on the PC yesterday. Turn sent out a hour or so ago. I'm still planning the routing your forces. :shootero::runner:

@Badger73 I see your withdrawing. :):runner:
Or is it a illegal redeployment? :p

OD0lIqp.jpg

@Nathangun - I have begun a withdrawal but the Turn #045 allied aircraft are strafing the withdrawal zone and inflicting casualties on fully withdrawn troops. I know you can't directly control aircraft targeting to avoid this and that the AI is doing it instead.

However, I do not want to declare I am fully withdrawn yet because I still have troops on the battlefield that and know they can avoid capture. They are still moving into the withdrawal zone. In another turn or two they will cross the exit line and can evade the weapon fire from your ground troops as they pull back.

I want @Rico to weigh in on this before I complete my next turn but he's on holiday for three more days. I'm pausing our match pending his return. Thank you for your patience. Your naval gun support has been very disruptive. All my clever plans came to naught.

@Nathangun - I have begun a withdrawal but the Turn #045 allied aircraft are strafing the withdrawal zone and inflicting casualties on fully withdrawn troops. I know you can't directly control aircraft targeting to avoid this and that the AI is doing it instead.

However, I do not want to declare I am fully withdrawn yet because I still have troops on the battlefield that and know they can avoid capture. They are still moving into the withdrawal zone. In another turn or two they will cross the exit line and can evade the weapon fire from your ground troops as they pull back.

I want @Rico to weigh in on this before I complete my next turn but he's on holiday for three more days. I'm pausing our match pending his return. Thank you for your patience. Your naval gun support has been very disruptive. All my clever plans came to naught.

Popping in when dodgy wifi at my holiday guest house allows -- Enemy troops are allowed fire into withdrawal zones -- they just can't enter them.

@Rico / @Nathangun

Situation Report Südgebirgsgrenze

Leibste ÜberFührer. Withdrawel of effective forces is completed. Gunn intentions are thwarted. It is my duty to report successful preservation of PzrBrigade Faust by noteworthy and valiant sacrifices of Infantrie Regiment 104 in the face of overwhelming Gunn army assaults.

Status Reports:
- PanzerBrigade Faust shows 65% Vehicles and 55% Personnel effective and withdrawn.
- Infantrie Regiment 104 shows 60% Personnel effective and withdrawn.
("WITHDRAWN" turn is posted to dropbox - cease fire submitted)

While the Landsers of the Reich are second to none, they neither run on water nor walk on clouds. The absence of our Kreigsmarine and Fleigenderkorps bretheren sadly demonstrated again the lessons learned by our cousins in Sicily; no Reich land force can long withstand enemy attacks launched in concert with un-supressed off-shore naval gunfire and unopposed air forces. While a portion of our sacred soil now lies beneath the soles of an invader's boots, our Soldaten are eager to launch advantageous counterstrokes whenever and wherever your faultless leadership directs.

The wounds I received from enemy fighter strafing runs during the battle are sufficiently serious that I must reluctantly heed the advice of my medical staff to relinquish futher command and undertake rehabilitative leave. I have turned leadership of Kamfgruppe von Dachs over to commander PzrBrigade Faust. I retire to Schloß Dachsenhimmel and await orders to report and acquit myself before the requisite Oberkommando Board of Inquiry necessitated by this outcome. May the Rico Reich always prevail!

Thank you
@Rico / @Nathangun

Situation Report Südgebirgsgrenze

Leibste ÜberFührer. Withdrawel of effective forces is completed. Gunn intentions are thwarted. It is my duty to report successful preservation of PzrBrigade Faust by noteworthy and valiant sacrifices of Infantrie Regiment 104 in the face of overwhelming Gunn army assaults.

Status Reports:
- PanzerBrigade Faust shows 65% Vehicles and 55% Personnel effective and withdrawn.
- Infantrie Regiment 104 shows 60% Personnel effective and withdrawn.
("WITHDRAWN" turn is posted to dropbox - cease fire submitted)

While the Landsers of the Reich are second to none, they neither run on water nor walk on clouds. The absence of our Kreigsmarine and Fleigenderkorps bretheren sadly demonstrated again the lessons learned by our cousins in Sicily; no Reich land force can long withstand enemy attacks launched in concert with un-supressed off-shore naval gunfire and unopposed air forces. While a portion of our sacred soil now lies beneath the soles of an invader's boots, our Soldaten are eager to launch advantageous counterstrokes whenever and wherever your faultless leadership directs.

The wounds I received from enemy fighter strafing runs during the battle are sufficiently serious that I must reluctantly heed the advice of my medical staff to relinquish futher command and undertake rehabilitative leave. I have turned leadership of Kamfgruppe von Dachs over to commander PzrBrigade Faust. I retire to Schloß Dachsenhimmel and await orders to report and acquit myself before the requisite Oberkommando Board of Inquiry necessitated by this outcome. May the Rico Reich always prevail!

Thank you for the detailed battle report Herr General Von Dachs, I will study the results of the battle in detail when I get back and also report the results to enemy general @Nathangun . Well done on preserving our combat units in the face of overwhelming enemy firepower -- I am sure our Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe will be able to strike back in the next turn and cripple the Gunn navy.
Early days in the war yet.

Yo, @Rico.

I want you to know how much I really enjoyed playing the Island War - Battle One South. I know that it is counter-intuitive for the loser to have that much fun, so let me explain. It's the first game I've played where I had to deliberately consider how to withdraw in the face of an overwhelming enemy.

“Of all operations of war, a withdrawal under heavy enemy pressure is probably the most difficult and perilous. Indeed it is recorded of the great Moltke, that when he was being praised for his generalship in the Franco-Prussian War, and was told by an admirer that his reputation would rank with such great captains as Napoleon, Frederick, or Turenne, he answered, “No, for I have never conducted a retreat.” – Friedrich Wilhelm von Mellenthin
CM games are not designed for falling back. There are few chances to practice it in this game except as part of a larger campaign. So, I really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out what forces might best stifle an infantry attack under their twin umbrellas of formidable naval gunfire and uncontested air support. Nothing went as planned but I enjoyed the pre-game intellectual exercise and in-game trying to figure out timings. As you see, I loaded up on 81mm mortars and 75mm gun platforms in the hopes of making @Nathangun pay dearly for taking this terrain. I also purchased several halftracks per your desire to see a true mech infantry force fielded. However, I was hoping to do something much more useful with the ones mounting 37mm guns. The breaking point for me came after @Nathangun's naval gunnery took out most of my fire support network radio operators. When I lost the ability to call in fire missions and bring indirect fires quickly down on all my TRP's, I knew it was time to go. Niall did a brilliant job of targeting his off-shore artillery.

That being said, because this campaign awards a Ribbon to it's participants, I want to sit out the next few rounds or so that other FGM members can join in with you and @Nathangun as much as possible on either side of the campaign. I look forward that those whom join the Reich might revenge my failure! Until then, I continue to observe with pleasure. Thank you for organizing this.

Freiherr Günter Heinrich Wilhelm Jürgen der Seibte von Dachs
- Schloß Dachsenhimmel, Das Rico Reich
(Call me, "Badger") ;)

Yo, @Rico.

I want you to know how much I really enjoyed playing the Island War - Battle One South. I know that it is counter-intuitive for the loser to have that much fun, so let me explain. It's the first game I've played where I had to deliberately consider how to withdraw in the face of an overwhelming enemy.

“Of all operations of war, a withdrawal under heavy enemy pressure is probably the most difficult and perilous. Indeed it is recorded of the great Moltke, that when he was being praised for his generalship in the Franco-Prussian War, and was told by an admirer that his reputation would rank with such great captains as Napoleon, Frederick, or Turenne, he answered, “No, for I have never conducted a retreat.” – Friedrich Wilhelm von Mellenthin
CM games are not designed for falling back. There are few chances to practice it in this game except as part of a larger campaign. So, I really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out what forces might best stifle an infantry attack under their twin umbrellas of formidable naval gunfire and uncontested air support. Nothing went as planned but I enjoyed the pre-game intellectual exercise and in-game trying to figure out timings. As you see, I loaded up on 81mm mortars and 75mm gun platforms in the hopes of making @Nathangun pay dearly for taking this terrain. I also purchased several halftracks per your desire to see a true mech infantry force fielded. However, I was hoping to do something much more useful with the ones mounting 37mm guns. The breaking point for me came after @Nathangun's naval gunnery took out most of my fire support network radio operators. When I lost the ability to call in fire missions and bring indirect fires quickly down on all my TRP's, I knew it was time to go. Niall did a brilliant job of targeting his off-shore artillery.

That being said, because this campaign awards a Ribbon to it's participants, I want to sit out the next few rounds or so that other FGM members can join in with you and @Nathangun as much as possible on either side of the campaign. I look forward that those whom join the Reich might revenge my failure! Until then, I continue to observe with pleasure. Thank you for organizing this.

Freiherr Günter Heinrich Wilhelm Jürgen der Seibte von Dachs
- Schloß Dachsenhimmel, Das Rico Reich
(Call me, "Badger") ;)

Good to hear -- when the losers are having fun then the campaign is working. :cool:

Depending on the final outcome of the central battle (to be concluded when I return from my trip on Sunday) the situation is offering up quite a few strategic dilemmas for the Reich to resolve while mobilization of all the active reserve units continues...

dachs-hospital.jpg

General Von Dachs, (@Badger73 ) -- while you are recuperating from your wounds received in your recent battle, am happy to go with your suggestion to slot in new players/commanders when necessary and battles become available.

Last edited:
Back