Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Pegasus and Orne Bridges - Their Capture, Defence and Relief by Neil Barber

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
This book is about the capture of two bridges by British airlanding (glider) troops on D-Day. Securing the bridges was essential to the security of the left flank of the Normandy landings. It is an exciting read and excellent for its abundance of historical detail provided by an exhaustive amount of personal accounts from men who were involved. Highly recommended. I purchased the Kindle version.

Mr. Barber's book resolves the debate about what kind of tracked vehicle attacked Maj. Howard's men at the Bénouville bridge shortly after its capture. Some sources suggest a PzKfw IV, some a Char or Renault 35, some hazard a guess at a pair of halftracks. In Appendix B, item "3. The armoured vehicle visible in the D-Day aerial photograph" Mr. Barber describes an aerial photo which clearly shows the wreck of the vehicle and from its shape determines it most likely to be an "SPW U340 (f), which was the equivalent of a Sdkfz 251/10". This being an open-topped vehicle would also explain the lengthy display of fireworks after its destruction.

One of the best coup de Mains Ever! Great book, i have it also. Would love one of your exhaustive campaigns for the British airborne boys!

Would love one of your exhaustive campaigns for the British airborne boys!
That, indeed, is a work in progress. At this moment I am enlarging my already large Bénouville and Ranville map to be able to accommodate the German attacks against the 12th and 13th Para battalions at Le Bas de Ranville from the "circle contour" and Ranville from Héroudville in addition to the engagements with 7th para in Bénouville and Le Port. It's going to take some time ...

Excellent news, really look forward to those when they are ready :) Big para fan. I have been to Pegasus and the Merville Battery. In one of the bunkers they do a mock para assault simulation on the bunker whilst you are inside. It is borderline terrifying and gives a great feel for how much shock an assault like that can generate to the huddled landser inside.

There is also a red-beret mod available, though a good mix of beret and helmet would be more correct.

Back