The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939

Louis

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Rescue members of the Red Cross of Barcelona work to locate survivors after a Francoist bombing in 1938. The novelty of the image is the sanitary hat. On a white background, you can differentiate hundreds of meters away the red cross on the head of the nurses. The reason? In the event of a new attack, the enemy pilots could see that the members of the Red Cross were looking for the wounded and not engaging in war actions.

Hardradi

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
hhardradi@gmail.com
Nice before and after shots Louis. Are you putting these together yourself?

Unfriendly

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I had family in both sides. Fun story: Mi great-grandfather was a left wing basque nationalist engineer that had his quite numerous properties in Pamplona confiscated never to be seen again. It was also arrested and his name written on a "to be shot" list. A relative, which was a falangist with a bit of authority, saw the list on the detention camp and simply erased the name, thus saving his life. This really shows in my opinion how much of a "war between brothers" it was.

Hardradi

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
hhardradi@gmail.com
Oh yep, I try to find the same place on Google Street and also the same angle. Then I capture the image, cut it out and give it the approximate size.
I love those comparisons.
Agreed, amazing to see the two perspectives and well done mate.

I had family in both sides. Fun story: Mi great-grandfather was a left wing basque nationalist engineer that had his quite numerous properties in Pamplona confiscated never to be seen again. It was also arrested and his name written on a "to be shot" list. A relative, which was a falangist with a bit of authority, saw the list on the detention camp and simply erased the name, thus saving his life. This really shows in my opinion how much of a "war between brothers" it was.
Scary, a roll of dice and your snuffed out (and perhaps your progeny :oops:).

I think my estranged grandfather fought in the Civil War. He disappeared after WW2 and my mothers sister caught up with him just before he died. He had joined the French Foreign Legion after WW2, got out at some stage and started a whole new family in the British Isles somewhere. I seen a hand written letter by him to my mother just before he died, it was quite short. All I remember it saying was that he had been in the Spanish Civil War, WW2 and then joined the French Foreign Legion.

steve

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Last edited: