Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Vietnam War

They also had large, uncovered trailers that would carry 3 to 4 times as many men than even a "Duece and a half". They were pulled by 18 wheeler-style tractors.

We had enclosed versions of cattle hauling trailers, with bench seats and windows, used on Camp Pendleton to haul troops to training areas. We called them 'Cattle Cars'.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind

Thanks Luis! I find this part of the quote especially thought provoking.

As an aside, let me share with you a little about the statue pictured above, at 'The Wall'
It was added to the Memorial site after a group of people, who in their opinion, thought the original design of 'The Wall' to be a shameful disgrace, were able to convince the Vietnam Memorial Fund to include it at the site. An opinion long rebutted by the fact that 'The Wall' is the most visited National Monument in America.
When the artist donated the statue to the nation, the rights to use it's image was retained by the Vietnam Memorial Fund. Any use of the image without their consent, leaves one subject to copyright infringements. Which in fact happened to one Vietnam Vet who used the image on a t-shirt that he would sell at a small kiosk (one of many at 'The Wall'). He was a Viet Vet whose wife's father is one of the names on 'The Wall' denoted as being MIA (Missing in Action). He used the funds generated from the sale of t-shirts, to support groups advocating that Vietnam disclose all information on the MIAs. The Vietnam Memorial Fund won their case in court, and procured a cease and desist order against the Veteran. When he refused to stop using the image, he was once again sued, lost again, and last I heard from him, his house was about to be seized for payment of the awards against him.

The statue of the Nurses in Vietnam, also located near 'The Wall' was also donated to the American people, but the rights are retained by the artist.

I am of the opinion, that if the American people are not awarded the rights to the statues images, they should be removed from the site.

When you look at the figure for how many died on their scheduled departure day, you can understand why we became so nervous as our time approached. I remember several occasions where a serviceman who was short, refused to return to the 'Bush'. The only thing we heard about these guys is that they were sent to Long Binh Jail, or as we called it in country...LBJ Prison. Undoubtedly they received court marshals for failing to obey a lawful order.

General William Westmoreland (1914 – 2005)
CAI2004_zpsc1eb45cf.jpg

Here are a couple of pics showing the main runway at LZ Stud (Vandergrift Combat Base) viewed from the Sparrow Hawk staging area.

Sgt. Alex Adams of Morgantown, W. Va. (with the telephone) and Pfc. Ron Hooper of Wichita Falls, Texas (looking through the binoculars) keep lookout from the top of Marble Mountain for any signs of trouble around the Da Nang airbase, November 1st, 1965. The week before the Vietcong had made a number of attacks on the important American base in one of which they destroyed almost 20 helicopters.-
CAI_zps1c31031b.jpg

I recently made contact with the 1st Bn 4th Marines Association, where I came in contact with a fellow who had served with D Co. 1/4. Now I will be the first to admit that 'Father Time' has played hell with my memory, and I was unable to recall the fellow, nor he me. In any case, he sent me a photo and asked if I knew any of the guys in the pic. Upon downloading it, I only recognized one of the guys, the short one...me.

Pic was taken at Vandergriff Combat Base (LZ Stud) circa 1969

I hope you and your lost brother can help eachother in remembering more.

I hope you and your lost brother can help each other in remembering more.

There is a 1st Bn 4th Marines annual reunion (never been to one yet) in Oct of this year, which I plan on attending, where there will be about half a dozen guys who served in D Co during my tour. I suspect there will be much memory jogging.

Vandergriff Combat Base (LZ Stud) circa 1969

The brother I am in contact with was called 'Apple' (his last name is Ableknapp) he is the Marine on the right, all in this pic are radiomen, Apple was an arty FO radioman.

Good for you that you are attending a reunion. Let us know how it went

A US soldier with a letter from home

I was from Northern California, and mail from my loved ones sometimes got to me in country within 3 days of their mailing, as the FPO (Fleet Post Office) for the WESTPAC was in San Francisco. The quickest my mail got back to stateside was 5 days.

(edited to reflect the International date line)

Last edited:
Bone-weary troops flake out in an Amtrak after the beachhead is secured. Marines fought from dawn until dark in temperatures up to 130 degrees on just two canteens of water per man.
AFA1.jpg

Back