Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Thoughts about tournament maps

P

poesel71

I try to play in each and every tournament or campaign that comes up here because this is where CM shines the most (IMHO) and I want to thank everyone who makes these things happen.
But there's two things which bug me a bit:

1) objectives are too big
Big objective areas can be easily contested especially with vehicles. A last minute rush is hard to defend over a large area. Also that a lonely panicked driver can deny you the objective while you have half a tank platoon on it.
Suggestion: objectives are 3x3 max unless they have to cover a large building like a bridge. Also the objective should be where you have control over something, not always the thing itself (e.g. a crossroads: sitting on it doesn't give you control when there is a hill close by with LOS and good cover. The objective should be on the hill.)

2) objectives scores that can be divided by 2
A bit difficult to describe so I try it with examples:
2 objectives, A & B. Each worth 100 points.
That often leads to boring games. You get 'your' objective and he gets 'his' and from then on its just sniping for points because usually no one has a force advantage (= you loose if you attack).
3 objectives: A,B,C. A&B worth 50, C 100.
Same as above only that the owner of A&B has to split his forces.

Suggestion: always have 1 or 3+ objectives, never 2. Sums of objectives should never equal sums of other objectives (there is most likely a very good mathematical expression for that... :) )

Example:
3 objectives: A,B,C. A 50, B 60 & C 100 points.
Now the owner of C has to fight for A or B to at least deny it to the opponent. No boring stalemate.
Or make that A 50, B 40, C 100 - Now AB has to do the fighting.

Adding more smaller objectives with smaller point values leaves more tactical options for the player and leads to more variance in the battles.

@poesel71 great suggestions. After almost a couple of years out of CM I'm getting back into the game. One of the things I've enjoyed most about CM is devising multiplayer campaigns. Although I've only had one up and running in the past, it's something I'd like to do again in the future. I'll bear your suggestions in mind.

Back