Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Time travel

Yeah bunch of books they found offensive and thought were instilling the wrong principles in young minds. The Far Side with it's comical rendition of God was squarely on that list. My old man was a big fan at the time so it's the books that got me in trouble when I brought them to school - why I remember it was on the list.

To be fair a number of the teachers were very liberal and looked the other way, especially the English teachers who had big run ins with school boards/the nuns/parents groups and the like. Year 9's reading an internationally acclaimed novel for a literature review that happened to have a sex scene in it... blasphemous! (A Hand Maids Tale). Bumping into some of my old teachers in recent years it seems things have got better, and the barbed wire from the external fences has been removed. :p
So they banned The Far Side, but somehow had you read The Handmaid's Tale (one of the great books of all time) - not your everyday "roll in the hay"-like sex scene (more like institutionalized rape...).

The seduction of the innocent, eh?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent
I literally learned to read using comic books. You could say they made me what I am today! :devilish:

Very different times when Eisenhower was President.
I was told I could read all the comic books that I wanted on my own time (and I did - a pretty big Marvel collection before I sold it off) but that their job in the classroom was to teach me how to read for further education (which they did very well).

JJjm0UA.png

Back