Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

TOAW 4

HOA_KSOP

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Got glowing reviews on Wargamer.com, a "must have" title according to the reviewer. I've owned all previous versions and this one looks very good. I like the fact they've un-abstracted naval warfare and made it "playable". Will be a future purchase for me.

I got it on release but haven't got into it yet or the changes from the third edition which I played some of. The game takes some time to get used to with the unusual (but very logical) turn structure. They have cleaned up the UI a lot and there are hundreds of scenarios from all eras. And the editor is supposed to be gold. Not too pricey either.

The Operational Level is not my cup of tea but for all those who are interested, here is the official Matrix Games
video: ;)

I have TOAW III, what I realized early was not to move a unit far in one swift movement, other wise the clock would run down and the turn is over.
The problem is actually not moving the unit far, but engaging in battle at the end of the move before other units have moved/conducted battle. TOAW tries to simulate that movement and battles happen in the correct order timewise. This is the notorious "turn burn" that the new version has tried to alleviate with the so called "time stamps".

Well all I know is that if you attack, win and move a little best thing to do is dig in and you can stop counterattacks cold. So get in the habit of digging in at the end of you turn and you are golden.

Yes, and a long awaited patch pretty soon as well. Still haven't touched the game since release because of CTDs and map graphics breaking up when scrolling. Hope it will be fixed...

Anyone who has this game should pop over to the Matrix forum and have a look at the graphics mod called "Board Game". It is simply fantastic and a real face-lift for the game. Also mods the counters to a clearer neater look. Highly recommended. Now I'm finally going to get into this game for real.

Link: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4523087

fd52fe01834d0566262d3be05a672c51.png

Last edited:
Back