Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[TV Series] Chernobyl

And after seeing the series one understands that it could have been so much worse which is a scary insight. I remember the aftermath here in Sweden, talking about other reactors that were an equal threat of catastrophic failure or worse - the one in Ignalina in eastern Lithuania being one that stuck in my mind.
This series is a must see. For the story itself, but equally for the underlying themes that resonate to this day as a stark reminder.

I must have misunderstood. Looks like Chernobyl ranks in the highest (Major Accident) category in the Wikipedia article.

I was referring to the Swedish Forsmark accident which led me down the rabbit hole about Chernobyl and then the rankings. Yeah, Fukoshima and Chernobyl are the highest on the scale.

Makes you wonder why they are using nuclear power to start with. It supposed to be cleaner and maybe cheaper I guess.

"Clean" as long as things are ok and you find final storage for the waste that is secure for 10000 years (no one has yet...). Uranium mining is not clean at all. Cheap - no. Very expensive to build. We had a referendum in Sweden in 1980 on nuclear power.

To me, nuclear energy promised great outcomes which were undone by politically motivated and deceptive sentimentalists. I wholly agree that it is a technology fraught with danger but we've destroyed all incentives for science and engineering to confront and overcome those dangers. The costs of building a reactor has as much to do with onerous governmental regulation as with the actual costs of construction and operation. As for nuclear waste, no one remembers that gasoline was considered a useless byproduct from the refining of crude oil to make kerosene until invention of the internal combustion engine. I think our world's physicists would have solved nuclear waste issues within a century, not ten millennia. But, we stuck to fossil fuels instead and now confront an entirely different mix of issues. The current politicization of science has caused us to loose faith in our people of science. Hopefully, those Norwegian scientists will master Thorium energy soon but without any subsequent Russian intervention . . . (reference "Okkupert") :cry:

Just saw the first episode. One of the tensest things I've seen on TV. We know almost nothing about anyone except the fireman, but we are horribly engrossed in their activities, knowing that they are going to suffer an awful death, quite soon. Like the other poster I was struck by the scene where the technician has to reverse his view that the core must have exploded. The insane groupthink that prevails is a parallel to political events now.

I've seen it all now, and throughly recommend it. At first I felt that the final episode, which is almost entirely set in a court, was comparatively boring, but it got interesting as an analysis of the mistakes that made the explosion happen.

I've seen it all now, and throughly recommend it. At first I felt that the final episode, which is almost entirely set in a court, was comparatively boring, but it got interesting as an analysis of the mistakes that made the explosion happen.

His use of the cards describing the delicate balance of nuclear energy was fascinating.

Back