Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

U-BOOT - preview by Tim Stone - out soon (30 April) - looks cool

Z

Zinzan

It's a fun read, but boy am I hoping this game is as good as it looks.

Rock Paper Shotgun site,
Words by the revered Tim Stone

A quote from the article.
"Silent Hunter meets Nantucket meets Bomber Crew, UBOAT has a novel subsurface soap opera side that feels a little underdeveloped at present, and the odd GUI quirk that may cause confusion come April 30, but surprising tactical depth, heartening patrol freedom, and truly wunderbar Type VII representations, means there’s no danger the game will, like U-96, sink without trace."

It's a fun read, but boy am I hoping this game is as good as it looks.

Rock Paper Shotgun site,
Words by the revered Tim Stone

A quote from the article.
"Silent Hunter meets Nantucket meets Bomber Crew, UBOAT has a novel subsurface soap opera side that feels a little underdeveloped at present, and the odd GUI quirk that may cause confusion come April 30, but surprising tactical depth, heartening patrol freedom, and truly wunderbar Type VII representations, means there’s no danger the game will, like U-96, sink without trace."

Hehe just read the same article the other day as well. Added to my follow/wishlist and will definitely keep an eye on it.

Gonna watch this very carefully,

Love me subsims ala Silent Hunter - realism over excitement, co-op etc in me Water-based sims. Like me history and experiences of naval personnel at war and you need to work hard, endure boredom, RUN like F***, hide to gain your victories. In subs STAYING alive should be the hardest thing in any encounter with the opposition. Victories have to be rare enough to be worth celebration and returning from patrol should be a relief every time.

I'm going to watch the reviews and peer carefully at the news reports and see how the patches/improvements go. OTOH if it's pretty good I'm gionna buy it and play the HELL out of it. I mean I got 2 000 - 2 500 hours in Silent Hunter 4 and a LOT more in SL3 & SL2 :eek:

(The Useful Info: Unlocks on STEAM UK at approx 1600GMT 30/04/2019, no price as yet)

Game, looks like a bit of fun. Hope they look to include a but of variety, landings by shore parties and long range voyages into the South Atlantic and the Indian Oceans.

Got up close and personal with one of those WW2 torpedoes at a memorial on a bike ride on Sunday, absolutely massive things.

Released on STEAM (poss still Early Access?) 22 mins ago at £20.22 (with 15% launch discount - normally £23.79)

(Update: Definetely Early Access)

Going to watch and ponder - might break my rule about Early Access purchases..... <Rubs chin> .... Hmmmmmmmm....

I was an early backer of this game. So far, the game looks like it will be a winner. But at release, at best, it was in an alpha state. Small team is behind this game. To their credit they have been very quick responding to players feedback.
Definitely a buy if you are a u-boat/SH series fan. I would not rush in at this stage but current progress should see a workable version in a couple of weeks or so. A bit frustrating starting a game only to find out the latest version does not support older version saves, etc. i think it is a good looking game and has great potential. How much of that is realised will probably be dependent on the level of commercial success. Fingers crossed on that one.

It is a good looking game and if you are into U-Boat games it is a must buy IMHO. Bit (lot) buggy on release but the devs (team of 3) have been on the ball re updating. I started playing on release but after so many updates have put it aside for awhile to let it develop. By now is should be getting reasonably mature. As someone else said "so many great games, so little time!"

Just to update this. They have release a big update that now has complete campaign intros for a few different UBOATs. These now operate as your start.
I to got it ASAP, and like Lethal2615 I had to put it aside to let it develop.
Big sub fan. Many hours on all Silent Hunters.

I have U-Boot and I have mixed feelings. I like many things about it but the launching torpedoes it's seems easy to get hits.
Once I had two merchant ships at my mercy, one was in front and the other was behind me.
I got my officers to to the target thing, launched the torpedo and blew up the ship behind me! o_O
I think work on targeting should be more realistic, as in having your submarine pointing in the right direction for a start.

I have U-Boot and I have mixed feelings. I like many things about it but the launching torpedoes it's seems easy to get hits.
Once I had two merchant ships at my mercy, one was in front and the other was behind me.
I got my officers to to the target thing, launched the torpedo and blew up the ship behind me! o_O
I think work on targeting should be more realistic, as in having your submarine pointing in the right direction for a start.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. One of the first things I did in UBOAT was do the walk about to find all the stations. Noticed there was no TDC. Well it's their in the conning tower. But you can't use it. So it's just a case of ID the ship, click to lock, let AI do all the torpedo data, and yeah they seem to be torpedo l33ts. From what I've heard/read there has been lots of work on those types of bugs.

I haven't played in a few months, but have checked up on the community. And so far it seems that this last release is going well. It's the one with the 'immersive start' from road map sandbox section.
This is from them:
With the latest v125 update we entered the Early Access Roadmap which means more changes and new features in upcoming months!

Here is the list of things that you can expect in series of new updates:

- new missions
- new units
- more interactions
- campaign
- continuous visual and technical upgrades
- changes based on your suggestions

We wish you a happy voting and thank you for your love and support!

Best,
The UBOAT Team

Sorry for my wall of text there. In short. I hear ya! :)

Have they improved crew AI or do you still have to micromanage crew?

From what I've read they've fixed some of the crew AI, but not sure exactly what. The patch notes regarding that are a little vague.

Waiting on another update. After the last one my game has random CTDs.

If anyone is on the fence about this game you need to realize that it is not in any way close to a Silent Hunter sim. It is a very arcade like crew management on a sub game, think the Sims on a boat.

Back