Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

UK travels

Gutted I can't catch up with you Rico... my workload has exploded leading up to a pretty important presentation I have to do on stage at the Police College on Thursday... :(

No prob -- work has a way of getting in the way of life lately -- been a killer trying to kick myself free to go on this trip myself . Always tricky to schedule these trips with fitting everything in.

In Inverness -- despite having to wait two hours for our rental car (there were several accidents so there was a shortage of available cars :rolleyes:) .... still managed to visit Culloden battlefield ... very interesting even if it turned somewhat windy, cold and rather wet in a matter of minutes... welcome to Scotland. :D

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Did you do the 360 degree interactive battle experience?

The battlefield actually extends out over the main road but pretty neat the way the flags depict the starting positions of the forces and the cottage is still there... as for running across the boggy ground in a mad highland charge... you should have tried that. :)

E39B8DE6-F8D0-4B45-B4C2-C2181B3BB708-6833-00000D3281BD9DCB.jpeg
Did you do the 360 degree interactive battle experience?

The battlefield actually extends out over the main road but pretty neat the way the flags depict the starting positions of the forces and the cottage is still there... as for running across the boggy ground in a mad highland charge... you should have tried that. :)

Yes, did the whole thing - was very well done. Except the mad highland charge bit ... :D
Probably have to imagine the area with much less bushy vegetation and trees -- but still not the best place for a mad 50m sprint into musket volley fire.
Found it interesting how differently the redcoats used the bayonet in those days -- at shoulder level with the rear hand bracing the butt of the musket ... bit more like a pike.

Last edited:
Wouldn't want to be the one whose job it is to mow that lawn.

It's called a flock of sheep and several centuries :D.

It's also called the Highland clearances and the fact that the Lowland Scots and English valued the land for sheep more than the Highlanders/humans that lived there (Well done Zinzan :confused:, you just managed to turn a travelogue into a potential flame war.. :eek:)

Our time on Skye and Mull is over - on ferry back to mainland and taking leisurely drive back to Edinburgh and then back to London for a couple of days of shopping and sightseeing. (And there is a cartoon museum)
Time was mixed with battling flu probably picked up from a Italian couple sitting next to us on train to Inverness. Wife also got food poisoning from some dodgy crab dish at a Skye restaurant :( a few days back - not pleasant.
On way from Inverness to Skye managed to stop at Commando memorial at Speen Bridge (also made a pleasant small hike to a old ruined bridge from Jacobite era built to move English armies)

Attachments

• 20170915_121830_002.jpg
    20170915_121830_002.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 9
Back