Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

United States Army rank explained

Just one question - why are the NCO rank insignia upside down?

:D

Don't worry, we can teach you the correct spelling through the forums.

Um... we're talking military ranks and the direction of the Chevrons? Pretty sure it's a Commonwealth think but ours are 'buckets.'

rank.gif

So, in the Australian army, an enlisted man is promoted directly from Staff Sergeant (E5) to Warrant Officer, Class 2?

Would be interesting to see similar videos to the ones I posted, detailing the Commonwealth (and Australian) rank systems.

Last edited:
So, in the Australian army, an enlisted man is promoted directly from Staff Sergeant (E5) to Warrant Officer, Class 2?

Would be interesting to see similar videos to the ones I posted, detailing the Commonwealth (and Australian) rank systems.

Working with another nation's military is always interesting. When I was in Korea I was a SPC with four years of service. The ROK military confused the hell out of me at first. When I first started working in the SCIF my section had a ROK Army Staff Sergeant attached to us and he had only been in the military for two years. It kind of bugged me that this guy was a higher rank but had less time in service. I learned that the ROK military really has three rank systems. The vast majority of Korean men do 21 months of national service. They go in as Privates and get automatic promotions until they finish up their conscription as Sergeants. If a Korean man or woman decides to volunteer for an enlistment instead of getting conscripted they automatically start as a Staff Sergeant. The officers are similar to us. They go to a military academy or ROTC and then get commissioned. The system works well enough for them, but it's not so great for inter-service cooperation. We Americans were always told by our officers that the Korean Sergeants had the same authority as a US Army or Marine E-5 but in reality no one actually believed that.

Back