Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Update from Battlefront on future of CM

Z

Zinzan

Battlefront have thrown a bone to the ravening masses of CM players, I've quoted the IMPORTANT bits below (well he thinks it's important).

"Summer is always a slower period for us than the rest of the year, but that doesn't mean we're slacking off on some tropical island somewhere sipping brightly colored drinks with little umbrellas in them. Currently we have in the works:
  • Rome to Victory - this project got sidetracked due to a bunch of issues, but it's getting a lot of attention these days. When completed, CMFI will have a big list of new forces and the timeframe extended to the end of the war. It will likely be our next release
  • Untitled Eastern Front Module - active work has been going on since the Spring and it's shaping up quite nicely. This will take CMRT up to the end of the war, including some huge Berlin maps
  • New Zealand Defense Forces training aid - pretty much that's all there is to say about it
    default_biggrin.png
    And no, this will not be released for sale to the public. Sorry, but that's just the way it works sometimes
Now let's see, is there anything else to talk about? Well, there is the Alpha of Combat Mission Shock Force 2 we uploaded for testers yesterday. I suppose a few of you might be interested in it, so I'll take some time to do that.
- snip -
OK, so when can you get a hold of it? Not until early 2018, which will include the Base Game and all three Modules at one time. When can you see something from CMSF2? Way sooner than that. We just have to, uhm, finish rounding off some rough corners first."

Go to the Battlefront Forums for more details

The plan when CMRT came out was to do a new family for each year on the eastern front going back one year at a time. So, after completing the CMRT game they intended to go back a year for the next family. As the recent bones on the CM forum show their public horizon does not extend out far enough to see where that fits in their plans for the other games and fronts but that was the plan as announced when CMRT came out.

Does the current game engine handle urban environments well enough for Stalingrad? I don't think so.

I think it's time for an updated game engine, to be honest.
I was thinking after Steve revealed that the next RT module will have "huge Berlin maps" that the module will come with engine upgrades to make urban warfare less awkward. Better TacAI behaviour and some new commands, like tossing grenades through windows and being able to area fire at building facades you can see not like today when you have to have LOS to the action spot. And so on. Wishes might come through :D

I was thinking after Steve revealed that the next RT module will have "huge Berlin maps" that the module will come with engine upgrades to make urban warfare less awkward. Better TacAI behaviour and some new commands, like tossing grenades through windows and being able to area fire at building facades you can see not like today when you have to have LOS to the action spot. And so on. Wishes might come through :D

Incremental engine upgrades are fine with me, and I will continue to support BFC with my $$ as long as they keep improving CM.

Eh, not impressed. Wake me up when they actually do something useful, like replacing their crappy decade old engine or eliminating action squares and shoddy spotting routines; "Derp I can't see a tank 5 feet in front of me derp." As it is now, their games aren't worth the money anymore imo. I feel sorry for the NZ taxpayers.

Hoping you're right, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I guess Stalingrad could be done with the current engine, but it would need new building and terrain types (ruins, rubble), and it would benefit hugely from improved small-scale infantry modelling. In general I wish they would work more on the infantry side of the game.

Though my time at the front has been diminished in recent months due to holidays and work, the games certainly still draw me back in. There's still nothing quite like CM out there except maybe Graviteam series but that UI.... That's not to say there certainly can't be improvements but I'm more interested in content. Really wanting to see some more mid-war action eventually.

Since we are talking about it, in my opinion, the CM series suffers from a very very big shortcoming:

Allthough it is a WAR GAME there is nearly no destroyable envorinment (like it is in "Men of War" for example) and NO FIRE / NO BURNING! :( o_O

It is nearly only "dry" tactics. So is it a wonder then that this game doesn't sell in large numbers? The "Men of War" series is not very cool (in my opinion,
compared to the tactical depth of Combat Mission) but MoW sells and sells and sells.

Graviteams's "Mius Front" is in real time :( it has a difficult UI and poorly animated infantry - but I'm going to buy it, because of the fantastic graphics, EXPLOSIONS, aircrafts, large maps and effects.

Every computer game needs EYE CANDY in order to be successfull - and especially a wargame needs explosions, destruction, mayhem and fire.
As simple as that.

:eek: That just looks beautiful! - I'm hoping that one day we will have such a graphic engine in CM too. :rolleyes: :cool:

Back