ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
greershane@gmail.com

New recruits of the Vatican's elite Swiss Guard stand during the swearing in ceremony at the Vatican May 6, 2011. The Swiss Guard, founded in 1506 and consisting of 100 volunteers who must be Swiss, Catholic, single, at least 174 centimetres tall and beardless, celebrate their 503rd anniversary this year. New recruits are sworn in every year on May 6, commemorating the date in which 147 Swiss soldiers died defending the Pope during an attack on Rome on May 6, 1527.

P

Pauloondra

I like this army - the have very cheerful camo :thumb:

Ha, you see on the very left guy - they even receive awards :)

Louis

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
New Swiss Guard recruits dress before the swearing-in ceremony for 23 new recruits at the Vatican May 6, 2016.
New recruits are sworn in every year May 6, commemorating the date in 1527 when 147 Swiss soldiers died defending the pope during an attack on Rome.

Meat Grinder

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I understand that this is mostly ceremonial, and the Pope probably has real security guards, but if you are going to take the step of replacing the steel helmets with plastic, why not go all in and update the body armor to kevlar and the weapons to modern? Make them an effective, modern bodyguard company.

Gnarly

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
if you are going to take the step of replacing the steel helmets with plastic,
Perhaps it was just mandated by current WHS regulations (weight of the steel helmet vs modern plastic)? Sorry I didn't watch the vid.

mcmortison

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
To become a member of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican u must be Catholic and a member of the Swiss Army (which is easy as Military Service is mandatory over here).

They are trained in using the helebard as CQC weapon but they also carry Glock 19 & 26 handguns, SIG 90 assault rifles , H&K MP5 SMGs as well as Mace (pepperspry) and tasers as less then lethal Options.

Meat Grinder

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
To become a member of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican u must be Catholic and a member of the Swiss Army (which is easy as Military Service is mandatory over here).

They are trained in using the helebard as CQC weapon but they also carry Glock 19 & 26 handguns, SIG 90 assault rifles , H&K MP5 SMGs as well as Mace (pepperspry) and tasers as less then lethal Options.
Ok, that's pretty badass. I'll see myself out.