Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Vatican Swiss Guard

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
sg2.jpg

sg1.jpg

New recruits of the Vatican's elite Swiss Guard stand during the swearing in ceremony at the Vatican May 6, 2011. The Swiss Guard, founded in 1506 and consisting of 100 volunteers who must be Swiss, Catholic, single, at least 174 centimetres tall and beardless, celebrate their 503rd anniversary this year. New recruits are sworn in every year on May 6, commemorating the date in which 147 Swiss soldiers died defending the Pope during an attack on Rome on May 6, 1527.

I like this army - the have very cheerful camo :thumb:

Ha, you see on the very left guy - they even receive awards :)

New Swiss Guard recruits dress before the swearing-in ceremony for 23 new recruits at the Vatican May 6, 2016.
New recruits are sworn in every year May 6, commemorating the date in 1527 when 147 Swiss soldiers died defending the pope during an attack on Rome.
154418015_zpsftcmjss8.jpg

I understand that this is mostly ceremonial, and the Pope probably has real security guards, but if you are going to take the step of replacing the steel helmets with plastic, why not go all in and update the body armor to kevlar and the weapons to modern? Make them an effective, modern bodyguard company.

if you are going to take the step of replacing the steel helmets with plastic,

Perhaps it was just mandated by current WHS regulations (weight of the steel helmet vs modern plastic)? Sorry I didn't watch the vid.

To become a member of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican u must be Catholic and a member of the Swiss Army (which is easy as Military Service is mandatory over here).

They are trained in using the helebard as CQC weapon but they also carry Glock 19 & 26 handguns, SIG 90 assault rifles , H&K MP5 SMGs as well as Mace (pepperspry) and tasers as less then lethal Options.

To become a member of the Swiss Guard in the Vatican u must be Catholic and a member of the Swiss Army (which is easy as Military Service is mandatory over here).

They are trained in using the helebard as CQC weapon but they also carry Glock 19 & 26 handguns, SIG 90 assault rifles , H&K MP5 SMGs as well as Mace (pepperspry) and tasers as less then lethal Options.

Ok, that's pretty badass. I'll see myself out.

Each recruit must be a single male of Swiss citizenship. They must measure at least 1.73m tall and be between the ages of 19 and 30. They must be educated and hold either a high school degree or a professional diploma.

Each recruit must be a devoted Roman Catholic and their application must be endorsed by their local parish priest.

Basic military training is completed in Switzerland, followed by a five-week induction training course in Rome.

After this first training period Swiss soldiers are called Halberdier, in reference to the primary weapons – halberds – used by Swiss mercenaries in the 14th and 15th centuries.

When training is complete, Halberdiers are sworn in and they and their families are invited to a private audience with the pope.

Once a Halberdier’s contract begins, which is a minimum of 25 months, they are required to attend Italian language classes.

By the end of their first year of service, the soldiers are ready to take up guard duty at the main gates of the Vatican.

0VotCSu.jpg

Reactions: mTk
Back