Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Video Capture for YouTube - Redux

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Well this explains why nobody answered the questions. It was the first post that was deleted not the second of the double posts.
Dang.

Anyway, I was watching Booties AAR against Rinaldi over at the Battlefront forum

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121027-bootie-v-rinaldi-dar-stay-out-rinaldi/

and was wondering what the process was or how Bootie took the video, added narration and uploaded it to youtube.

Since this post I have been looking in to it some more and found FRAPS for video and sound capture for about 37 dollars.
I would need to purchase a microphone (would a skype headset work?).

Also I understand that FRAPS only records 3 minute videos max. If you wanted to upload longer videos I would need another program such as Vegas Pro to stitch the 3 minute videos together.

After watching a youtube video on how to upload a youtube video that part seems pretty easy especially if you are only interested in family and friends.

Does anyone who uploaded a video do it in any other way?

I ask all this because I would just like to capture a turn here and there playing friends and family.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion in the previous post.

Fraps will continue recording more that 3 minutes (unless this is a new feature).

Do you have windows ... if so upload there movie program... name escapes me at present.

I use Sony movie maker platinum 13, I enjoy making little films of my battles, it allows me to download to YouTube quicker.

The windows program will allow you to cut and join your scenes together, but will be very slow downloading to YouTube.

As for sound ... always find this a pain, did use a headset... did not work to well, seems to work better with windows 10.
Brought a microphone, sound seems an issue with me, not to happy with how I sound!

Hope that helps... other will be along shortly, with more advice, if not, I will search out that windows programs name for you.

This YouTube video may help:

Last edited:
@Nelson1812

I watched a YouTube video explaining the use of FRAPS and he said it was only good for 3 minutes at a time.
I didn't notice how old the video was, perhaps it was an older rev.

I have Win7.
I went to the Start button and typed "Movie" and it gave me a "Go Online to get Windows Live Essentials" which includes Movie-Maker.
And it's free ta boot.
Great info Nelson - thanks.

When you say the headset didn't work well was it the quality of the sound like hum or a buzz or other noise in the background or was it made your voice sound unnatural?
Do you mind if I ask what brand or model mic you bought?
I see microphones can run from just a few dollars to a few hundred dollars.
I notice Bootie got a serious microphone for his setup. He does sound like a pro though when he does his vids.

(I should have asked these questions before Christmas - maybe Santa would have helped me out ;) )

Think you may have problems with windows 7 and sound, not sure why ... read it somewhere. Windows 10 sorted it out I believe.

I went with a Samson model meteorite... mainly as it was a HMDI cable item. Seemed (memory fading as to why.)
a HMDI got me around my problems with windows 7 sounds problems. (Seemed easy to locate and connect to).
Best get some better advice on this.

(PS...Sound of my own voice gives me a headache!)

Once your run a few movies on YouTube, you can decide whether you want to buy a better movie maker programme.

Look forward to seeing the first one.

I use FRAPS for both video and audio. I think the free version has a time limit...3 minutes? Don't remember for sure. But the purchased version has no limit. I use a Gamepro headset with mic. But any setup should do.

I save all of the incoming PBEM files during the game. I make my videos after the game is over. I go through each turn one by one and record the replay and add my commentary while it's playing. That way I can focus on where the action is.

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-vGlNS8Eng4DRADuKBgxA

Back