Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

War in the East - Case Blue - Phase I - Multiplayer AAR - Hardradi vs Nathangun

Hardradi

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
An AAR between myself (Soviets) and @Nathangun (Germans). Game length is a short at only three turns.

Here we are playing the 'Case Blue – Phase I' scenario, which is after the Kharkov battle we played previously and starts on the 28th June 1942. Each turn is one week and each hex is 10 miles. The first battle has no bearing on the second.

Ok, I have control over two fronts (Bryansk and Southwestern) with a total of five active armies. Three more armies are currently inactive and under the command of STAVKA.

STAVKA wants me to hold Voronezh and Boguchar (marked in yellow) both on the Don River. They would also like me to take Kursk, Belgorod and Kharkov (marked in red). The goal of the Germans is to take Voronezh and Boguchar. Points are also awarded for casualties (land and air).

GJnpxqY.jpg

We are outnumbered in men and armour. We have more guns. Air assets are about the same. Force comparison:

vqOIgNV.jpg

The Germans kick it off with their attack. Weather looks clear.

Turn 1 - 28 June 1942 (weather clear)

North of Kursk the Wehrmacht 2nd Army and elements of the 4th Panzer Army hurl back the defensive lines of the 13th Army but do not advance beyond these lines.

East of Kursk forces of the 4th Panzer Army smashes through the defensive lines of the 13th Army and 40th Army of the Bryansk Front. By the end of the week they had advanced about 60 miles. Perhaps they are forming a northern pincer or is this a direct attack towards Voronezh? The minor rail centre of Kastornoe falls to the enemy.

South of Kursk, in the centre, the Romanian 2nd Army and elements of the Wehrmacht 6th Army push back parts of the 40th and 21st Armies from their defensive line. As was the case north of Kursk, the Axis forces do not venture beyond the original defensive lines.

East of Kharkov the XXXX Panzer Corp of the 6th Army led by the 3rd Panzer Division penetrates the defensive lines between the Southwestern Fronts 28th and 38th Armies pushing over the Oskol river through to Valuyki, a minor rail junction. Perhaps forming the southern arm of a pincer movement with the 4th Panzer Army. This penetration is also about 60 miles deep and completely cuts off the Kastornoe-Valuyki rail line (marked in red).

The Luftwaffe undertake a series of ground attacks on my various Army Headquarters attempting to “cut the head of the snake”.

XyZYAnQ.jpg

Assessment and Action

None of my forces have been pocketed which is good but I have taken significant casualties in all of the battles pushing the victory points in favour of Nathangun. I could either counterattack or go on the defensive. Based on the information I can see on the screen my corps, divisions and brigades are far too weak to contemplate a counterattack. [Most of my units have a combat value (CV) of 1 with a few units with 2. Nathangun’s units have a significant estimated value, the figure to the right of the = sign on his counters. Even the Romanians are too strong.]

East of Kharkov the XXXX Panzer Corp that Nathangun attacked with was pushed forward without much infantry support. There is a limited opportunity to cut if off from its lines and temporarily affect its supplies. In the long term this might interfere with its further advance either northeast to Voronezh or east of Boguchar. I encircle it with my armour brigades and then pull most of them out just leaving one behind to annoy him.

We launch air attacks against his panzer and mortised divisions noting that the Luftwaffe interdiction of our attacks is weak.

Behind my first line of defence I have a line of fortifications (the little round red numbers at the top left of counters with the number 2) on which I can build a new defensive line. I use this defensive line. The Kastornoe-Valuyki rail line has been cut off which means I can’t rail any of my troops out of the centre. Despite this, I can force march most of them out and this is what I do. The new line of defence is put in place. Voronezh and surrounds are fortified. Will it hold back the fascist tide?

BYuZS6V.jpg

Last edited:
Turn 2 – 5 July 1942 (clear weather)

The Luftwaffe launches a series of air attacks into my rear areas beyond the Don River. West of Voronezh the 4th Panzer Army thrust through my fortified line at Khokhol reaching the Don River. A dangerous bridgehead is established by the 16th Motorised Division across the river to the north of the city.

Limited attacks and advances were made along the rest of the front south to Kharkov. Surprisingly, east of Kharkov, the 6th Army remained relatively static. Perhaps, General der Panzertruppe Paulus got a bit jumpy when we temporarily cut off the XXXX Panzer Corps.

8Lhv8L1.jpg

Assessment and Action

Again I suffer high casualties contributing to Nathangun’s victory points. Point gains are princiapply due to air losses. Perhaps I am being to aggressive with the Soviet air forces. I gain some victory points by continuing to hold Voronezh and Boguchar. The victory odds are 1.2 : 1 in favour of Nathangun.

The bridgehead across the Don River north of Voronezh is very dangerous for me. Voronezh is surrounded on all sides by rivers with the exception of the bridgehead position. With this serious threat to Voronezh, STAVKA have now activated the 60th Army north of the city but they retain control of this Army. Also north east of the city the 5th Tank Army has arrived to support the defence. Both new armies reinforce the city with the aim of building for a counterattack to destroy the bridgehead. [ I would not attempt this unless I can get CV odds of just over 2:1. This was not to be the case. The Soviet forces are just too weak.] The attack is delayed.

Again, we launch air attacks against his panzer and mortised divisions attempting to destroy and disrupt. Luftwaffe interdiction of our attacks is weak and we can only hope that this has caused a lot of damage

ZgGRcFX.jpg

Voronezh and the surrounds are now heavily defended by the battered 13th and 40th Armies along with the newly arrived 60th Army and 5th Tank Army. Where possible the front line forces are supported by reserves to the rear. Voronezh proper is directly defended by the 9th Guard Rifle Division, the 11th Tanks Corps and the 161st Rifle Division.

STAVKA have also activated the 63rd Army east of the Don and Boguchar but retain control over the Army. The 63rd Army is used to fortify and protect Boguchar in the event that the 6th Army breaks through the Southwestern Front and attempts a drive on the city.

EWnS2Du.jpg

Turn 3 – 12th July 1942

Voronezh is saved. The city proper was not attacked directly.

North of the city, the Wehrmacht pushed the forward units of the 13th Army away from the Don and extended their bridgehead across the Don to the north. South of the city a powerful attack launched by Panzer forces punched right through the already battered 40th Army which was holding a line on the western bank of the Don extending to the southwest. Here we lost many men as they attempted to retreat across the Don in the face of overwhelming forces. Their sacrifice was not in vein, no breakout was achieved by the enemy and the no attempt was made to breach our defences along the Don in this area.

In the south, the forces of German 6th Army made a shallow penetration of the line of the 28th Army but no breakout was achieved.

The Luftwaffe has launched extensive attacks, this time on our airfields.

ashDMEU.jpg

Gl2FtRm.jpg

Assessment and Action

We have done part of our job by holding Voronezh and Bogochar but STAVKA want an offensive, they want Kursk, Belgorod and/or Kharkov. Our forces are not well trained and are not well organised. An offensive would be madness. Despite this there is a tempting weak point in the fascist lines 20 miles east of Stary Oskol between the Romanian 2nd Army and the 6th Army. Here we will try to break the line with infantry backed by two Tanks Corps, then we should be able to exploit west with our tank brigades into the rear of the enemy.

Backed by infantry support, the 4th and 13th Tank Corps push back a lone German infantry Regiment from the 57th Division on the south side of the gap. A follow up attack by the weakened 24th and 22nd Tank Corps fails and we call a halt to our offensive.

MTbeqen.jpg

STAVKA have now released the Soviet 6th Army for action and they are railed in to defend the gap in the line south of the 40th Army. Part of the 63rd army is brought forward to defend the gap in the lines west of Rossoh. We begin to pull forces out of the sharp bulge southwest of Voronezh to straighten out our lines.

KUsvN9W.jpg

The results are in:

CnLkNlq.jpg

Looks like I need to keep a closer eye on the air war in future. This is where I lost the chance for a minor victory or perhaps it prevented the fall of Voronehz and Boguchar and facilitated the draw.

I am seeing Completed Draw and it says it not currently my turn. Are you still able to get into the game?

Back