Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Web Browser Assistance Pls

It's been so long since I installed Mozilla Firefox as my default web browser I don't even remember doing it. However, I really like it and felt then, as I do now, it was great to get out from under the yolk of MS.

However, I have a small problem. There is an online service I wish to use, but they don't support Firefox. Google Chrome is what they keep telling me to use. What I fear is that if I switch I will be inundated with all things Google and they will spread across my pc like the Ebola virus! My real question is can Install GC and easily switch to it when I want to access the desired website or is that a hassle best left alone?

Few Good Men Knows Everything!

I use three browsers. Chrome is invasive, but if you use it for one, I think you are good.

Plus you think not using Google is going to keep you safe. Were you asleep when Snowden basically said NSA collects everything? If you are on the worlds largest public network, nothing you do is private. Just ask Al Gore, he invented the darn thing...

Of course, you could use a VPN and make it a lot harder for the trackers.

I have Firefox, Chrome, and Micro$oft Edge (because it's part of Win10) installed. Firefox is my default. I use Google for Gmail and Google Docs. All three work when and as I want. So, yes, install Chrome and fire it up only when you wish to access that online service. Use Firefox for everything else as convenience dictates.

Safe? Where did you get the idea that concerns me, atm?
No, I just don't want to wreck my perfectly running pc with a swarm of unwanted Google products if I can avoid it.
If it is easy to use for that one website, great. I just need to know how that would work, if it would, without causing me further hair loss.

If you load it chrome will run background processes. When you load chrome, then load the task manager, see how many "chrome.exe services are running. Generally, 6-8 chrome processes are running.

That's if you are using it or not.

I knew it!

Actually, I was wrong. I tested Chrome performance yesterday using a program called Process Explorer. When Chrome is "open" you will see a number of "Chrome.exe" entries active while the program is active. However, when you exit Chrome it does stop all instances of Chrome, unloads from memory. Tested it multiple times, you are good to go with it.

Although Google Almighty does has its tentacles deep inside everything I am a happy user of Chrome. It just is a very fine browser.

But if you want to be refrained from lots of advertising etc. you should look at Maxton

Well, decided to stick with Fire Fox for now. Don't really need the (potential) aggravation of dealing with the change over.
The reason I was considering it was the website that rejected Fire Fox was Draft Kings, a daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) betting site. I rarely win, but it does give me a cheering interest in any sporting event I intend to watch if the game doesn't include my local team to root for.
Well, a short time ago I got an email from Yahoo DFS inviting me to play. I didn't know Yahoo ran a DFS site, but should have assumed so. Anyway, went to the site, registered, deposited a modest sum via PayPal, entered a contest and set my line-up. All while using Fire Fox. So, problem solved, Yahoo got a new customer and Draft Kings lost one. Some one at DK is not doing their job, or Google is paying them a lot of money for exclusivity.
Along the way I saw a graph that showed Google Chrome with 67% browser share, Fire Fox with 7% and Microsoft at about 4%. A startling stat if true.

Back