Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

We're all buggered and Sir David Attenborough says so.

"According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide.

Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors."

I wasn't talking about yearly rates, I was stating that even a single "random" phenomenon such as an eruption has the power to change earth's temperature for years, as it has happened more than once in history.

EDIT: Also, I wonder why when talking about climate change we focus so much on CO2 but not on evaporated water.

I'll give that a like because that is basically true if you believe in pure science VS religion. According to current science, the human race is basically 99.999% doomed to failure. If we don't destroy our own planet by nuclear war, overpopulation/human induced climate change, the creation of some supervirus, creation of a super AI that decides to turn us all into fuel to further it's own ends, etc., then we are left with the probability of our own extinction via natural means such as a supervolcano, asteroid impact, rogue planet or other extrasolar body passing through our solar system, gamma ray burst, general entropy, or a myriad of other causes. Our chances of reaching beyond our own solar system, are, for all intents and purposes, with our current science, basically zero.

The universe is a dangerous place, but that doesn't mean we can't fight for our place in it :)

I wasn't talking about yearly rates, I was stating that even a single "random" phenomenon such as an eruption has the power to change earth's temperature for years, as it has happened more than once in history.

You could also say an asteroid could hit us tomorrow, or that Trumputin could push the red button. If we lived like that, we'd all sell our stuff and spend the money having fun. No-future-style.

EDIT: Also, I wonder why when talking about climate change we focus so much on CO2 but not on evaporated water.

Because water vapour has always been part of the Earth's climate, and because it's taken into account in the climate models. People don't study climatology for years and years and then suddenly wake up and realise "Oh, we forgot there's water on earth" :)

@Lee_Chester_Jr no it's on a logarithmic scale showing years as orders of magnitude as opposed to marking out every 1000 year point which would require a graph over 3 miles long (unless you are viewing this on a phone of course)
Yeah, I noticed that. But as you know as consequences slope are misleading, being extreme at the higher compression of the graph and paradoxically flat at the more recent year. Pragmatic but difficult to apprehend

@Bulletpoint Well, since this is primarily a gaming website, I don't give much credence to the posts of those who do not participate in gaming. ;-) The proof is in the pudding.

I can attest to having been served his rough and ready pudding on more than one occasion. The Ladder is not the only proof nor is Combat Mission the only game. :shootero:

Yea I was only joking about the gaming thing. This is after all, "where history and games collide", and the thermal history of our planet is, technically, history. ;-) I've also found myself playing less and less Combat Mission lately, and more and more other games.

Hmmm . . . maybe someone will develop and release (wait for it) . . . "Climate Wars" on Steam soon. :sofa:

Venus has my favorite climate. Nice and warm.

venussurface.jpg

Fun fact: The Soviet Union is the only country that has managed to land a probe on Venus that functioned long enough to take photographs.

Surface temperature has been recorded at 455 Celsius (855 F) and pressure at 90 earth atmospheres. The atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide with clouds of sulfuric acid.

Last edited:
We are all saved fellas, no need to worry. (y)

No doubt we will all have to pay for this in some way. First we scare the shite out of you by resuscitating Chernobyl and then...let the games begin.

Back