Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What actually makes troops "pinned"?

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
When I try to pin enemy troops, I find that sometimes, they end up running away instead. This is especially a problem in forests.

I've been playing around with some testing where I could see more info about each unit. I noticed that sometimes, an enemy unit will show "pinned" even though its suppression meter is only half full. Other times, the meter will be completely full, but the unit will not show the "pinned" message.

Anyone knows why this is?

I thought it was a combination of suppression and/or casualties. But reading your post I'm probably wrong. I wonder if @Josey Wales has any ideas from all soft factor testing he did.

@Bulletpoint

Pinned troops which are also Rattled will auto evade i.e. run away.

The suppression meter shows 10 bars of suppression. A unit can be suppressed up to the 10th bar and still not be Pinned. Pinned would be the next bar up although it is not shown (an imagined 11th bar).

I've never seen a Pinned unit which did not have a full suppression indicator, please can you send a screenshot of the Pinned state with only a half full meter.

"When units are pinned (i.e. they can shoot but do not respond to movement orders)" - Manual
They won't follow your orders but if they are in a panic or such they will run away of their own accord.

I've seen units classed as Pinned with the meter not filled up, one in a recent turn I played infact. If the meter wasn't full before or not I'm unsure.

I think factors such as motivation / veterancy would have an effect on a unit being pinned.
EG - A unit has a low suppresion meter as they're not getting too much fire, but the unmotivated / inexperienced unit is classed as pinned as they don't want to follow orders, they would rather keep low and fire the odd shot back.
While a skilled and well motivated unit will stay low but do what they are ordered.

Back