Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What is destructible

C

cillmhor

I know buildings and walls are destructible. But is there anything else we can destroy on the landscape? And it would be nice to run some tests on how much ordanance/time it takes to destroy buildings/walls etc?

I wonder if trees can be destroyed. The reason I ask is that I was pounding away at a AT gun in one game which happened to be situated below a single tree. After multiple HE rounds from a Sherman, the tree disappeared. A bug, or destructible? And what does this mean for a very heavy barrage on a forest, do we end up with fewer trees? Does the game model the reduction of trees through HE and does that have an effect on the cover provided by the hex if trees disappear?

I daresay that Henry David Thoreau never really gauged the reaction of trees during a barrage. We now have Battleship and Detroyer barrages with the super duper arty.

Sadly, I have yet to actually squash a building.

I daresay that Henry David Thoreau never really gauged the reaction of trees during a barrage. We now have Battleship and Detroyer barrages with the super duper arty.

Sadly, I have yet to actually squash a building.

Lol, yes I hope CM factored in the sensibility of trees under fire - what morale do oaks have as opposed to beeches, or whatever trees pepper the Normandy landscape. What is the breaking point of a birch?

Lol, yes I hope CM factored in the sensibility of trees under fire - what morale do oaks have as opposed to beeches, or whatever trees pepper the Normandy landscape. What is the breaking point of a birch?

LOL :)

As we all know, the North Eastern Pine Tree is far superior to all other trees in terms of morale, all other trees are pretenders to the Pine Trees throne. Maple and Oak, maybe even Cherry, are in the next league down. ;)

as a fellow who often chases the little mrs around the house with wood, I am the resident expert on trees. The thick trees barely know what is going on and the thinner trees aren't good for hiding.

Now, I saw beeches with Bette Middler and I cried but then again, i was on the plane back to Schofield Barracks and was already feeling sad.

I know buildings and walls are destructible. But is there anything else we can destroy on the landscape?
Well, the land itself is destructible. Large artillery leaves craters and deforms the terrain.

I wonder if trees can be destroyed. The reason I ask is that I was pounding away at a AT gun in one game which happened to be situated below a single tree. After multiple HE rounds from a Sherman, the tree disappeared. A bug, or destructible?
Trees ARE destructible. Hit them with big enough HE and they disappear (usually). There is a bug that's being investigated where trees take multiple hits and don't disappear.

And what does this mean for a very heavy barrage on a forest, do we end up with fewer trees? Does the game model the reduction of trees through HE and does that have an effect on the cover provided by the hex if trees disappear?
Heavy HE barrages will destroy trees, but mostly they just strip the branches. There's a video on YouTube of a naval barrage hitting a forest and town. By the end, most of the trees are bare.

Well, the land itself is destructible. Large artillery leaves craters and deforms the terrain.

Trees ARE destructible. Hit them with big enough HE and they disappear (usually). There is a bug that's being investigated where trees take multiple hits and don't disappear.

Heavy HE barrages will destroy trees, but mostly they just strip the branches. There's a video on YouTube of a naval barrage hitting a forest and town. By the end, most of the trees are bare.

Okay, so do we know if reduced trees visually have any impact on their ability to provide cover and hide units?

BRIDGE WORK

I ordered these 4 Sher 75mm's (the 5th was ko'd earlier) to area-fire at the bridge-
bri1.gif

And after 19 secs it collapses-
bri2.gif

Okay, so do we know if reduced trees visually have any impact on their ability to provide cover and hide units?
I assume that reduction in trees equates to reduction in concealment, though I have not personally tested it to find out. I do know for sure that reduction in trees equates to reduction in cover. If you hit a tree or small group of trees with HE, the trees will shield units from the blast. If those trees disappear from repeated shelling, so does the cover that they provided. However, my guess is (again, I haven't tested it) that trees stripped of their foliage still cause airbursts and shrapnel kills. Of course, any guys in the trees when 105mm+ artillery starts falling are pretty much all dead anyway. So, it's mostly academic whether or not the cover changes, because nobody is likely to survive to find out.

DEMOS WON'T BLOW BRIDGES
I couldn't make the engineers do it. (but if there's a way, I'm all ears).
I issued the 'Blast' order and set the waypoint across the bridge but they just lay prone for about 20 secs then got up and ran across the bridge, there was no explosion or nothing (sniffle)

I'm pretty sure large HE is the only way to destroy bridges. I don't think it's possible for engineers or pioneers to do so.

Back