Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Who can cross what

P

PoorOldSpike

(From the manual pages 120+, plus tests and observations)

HEAVY FOREST- Infantry only
MARSH- Infantry only
DEEP FORD- Infantry only
SHALLOW FORD- Infantry + Vehs
BOCAGE and LOW BOCAGE- Impassable to all units (but look closely for small gaps as inf can go through them)
TALL STONE WALLS- Impassable to all units
LOW WALL- Infantry jump over. Most vehs break through at immob risk. Impassable to Light vehs
WOOD FENCE- Inf jump over. Most vehs can crunch through at immob risk.
HEDGES- Inf jump over. Most vehs get through at immob risk.
FOOTBRIDGES- Infantry only
ONE-LANE STONE BRIDGE - Only medium and light vehs can cross.
STONE RAIL BRIDGE- ditto. Also in a test no vehs would go under it, but infantry would.
TWO-LANE STONE BRIDGE- Infantry and all vehs.

In time I'll compile a detailed chart after i've checked out exactly which types the manual means by 'Medium and Light vehs' but for now i'll post test results and in-game observations below as a 'work in progress' to be going on with-

Low wall
I issue 'straight through' orders-
cro1.gif

But only the Sher goes through (leaving a rubbled hole).
The light M5 tank and halftrack ignore my orders and plot their own route to avoid the wall!-
cro2.gif

Fence
Both this halftrack and light tank crash straight through leaving no splintered timbers-
cro3.gif

Halftracks can cross hedgerows, it scrunched through at reduced speed like a speed bump and left a gap behind-

hal.gif

In time I'll compile a proper chart, but for now i'll post test results and in-game observations as a 'work in progress' to be going on with-

Low wall
I issue 'straight through' orders-
cro1.gif

But only the Sher goes through (leaving a rubbled hole).
The light M5 tank and halftrack ignore my orders and plot their own route to avoid the wall!-

But the M5 and HT could have followed the Sherman through the hole it made. Right ?

I haven't read the manual yet, waiting for the hard copy, but what's the deal with water? Do we have shallow fords and deep fords again? Is there any way to work out what depth a body of water is in game, and who can cross what?

ONLY INFANTRY WILL MOVE UNDER RAIL BRIDGES
(I'll test other types of bridges later)

Main pic:- I set up a group of infantry, M20 car, Sherman, M10 and halftrack on the tracks and gave them a 'Fast' move order to take them under the bridge and out the other side.
Inset:- but only the infantry went through and the rest auto-plotted their own route round the bridge-

briA.gif

NOTE:- As soon as the infantry got through, they ran off the tracks to continue on the grass, possibly because it was faster going.
Also in a separate test I deployed a Panther under the bridge in the setup phase (the bridge was in the Ger setup area) and began the game, but when I tried to move it from there it squirmed and writhed around like a pole dancer rooted to the spot because it couldn't figger out where it was.
SPOCK (in the 'Spock's Brain' episode)- "I don't know where I am captain"
KIRK- "You're a disembodied brain in a box"
SPOCK- "Fascinating"

PS- this shot is from an actual game, Nathanguns Panther shows its possible to fire from under that same bridge, presumably he deployed it there at the start-
nath-fss.gif

Back