Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Windows 10, and why all of my Combat Mission titles crash after 150 Minutes

G

Grunter

Hello everyone. I am a pretty avid player. What I lack in finesse, I make up for in stupidity.
Me computer blew up about 9 months ago, and I had to replace it. I speced up everything, including the operating system from WIN7 to WIN10.
I play all of the combat mission games, in both PBEM and single player, and I have noticed that without fail, all of the games crash at about the 2 and 1/2 hour mark.
I have searched through my diagnostics, and there isnt even a log of the crash. I find this most annoying, during the time consuming purchase and set up phases of the game, where I would like to take my time, and i am unable to save.
Has anyone else run across this glitch, and/or, tried to fix it?
Please give me a holler, if you have any ideas, as to what is going on.
It's almost as if my Mum came in and said "that's enough", except I am 56 bloody years old! Very frustrating.

Hi @Grunter

Q: does this happen with other games as well? For me that sounds like a overheating Problem or a Memory leak.

I had that happen to me after Building my own rig and didnt notice that my cooling fan wasnt sufficent. There Tools to read the temp of the CPU and GPU. U might want to Monitor them.

Cheers
Sven

Overheating could be a reason, like Morti already said. Does you PC stand "free" so that it can't overheat? Are the maps you are playing too big for the graphics card?

My other ideas are:

Did you check your PC settings for "shut down after XXX minutes of inactivity" ? Or the settings for the screensaver?

Why can't you save the game? Are you playing in real time mode?

And maybe you can extend memory space for temporary files/data on your hard drive (PC settings). Maybe the real time mode is
permanently producing temporary data.

Are you running an antivirus programme that starts checking and "repairing" the PC after 150 minutes of inactivity and the CPU can't handle both?

Hi @Grunter

Q: does this happen with other games as well? For me that sounds like a overheating Problem or a Memory leak.

I had that happen to me after Building my own rig and didnt notice that my cooling fan wasnt sufficent. There Tools to read the temp of the CPU and GPU. U might want to Monitor them.

Cheers
Sven
Thank you for the heads up. The only programs that crash are my Combat Mission games. I thought that it might be a screen saver kicking, or something.
Overheating could be a reason, like Morti already said. Does you PC stand "free" so that it can't overheat? Are the maps you are playing too big for the graphics card?

My other ideas are:

Did you check your PC settings for "shut down after XXX minutes of inactivity" ? Or the settings for the screensaver?

Why can't you save the game? Are you playing in real time mode?

And maybe you can extend memory space for temporary files/data on your hard drive (PC settings). Maybe the real time mode is
permanently producing temporary data.

Are you running an antivirus programme that starts checking and "repairing" the PC after 150 minutes of inactivity and the CPU can't handle both?
The reason I cant save, is because I am usually in the purchasing units menu, or the initial setup phase,that immediately follows. This is ironically, the very time that I need most time to prepare a battle, as you know.
My PC is set to "not sleep or shutdown" ever, and my screen saver is set for ten minutes. That doesn't work properly either, as sometimes it never kicks in.
My video card is a GTX 1060, and my computer is an i5-8400 with 16 gig of ram.
Surely powerful enough, I would imagine.
I will check up on the overheating issue, although I can hear the fan running fine, and it's in a place that is away from other surfaces, which may block airflow.
I never play in real time mode, just in the one minute interval style.
I will definately check the antivirus line of thought.
Cheers for all of the great suggestions.

Back