Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Women's World Cup 2019

I don't think that's the train of thought at all. Just some "what if" ideas. As for me, I don't know enough about soccer to give a well reasoned opinion (unlike every other celebrity on the planet). My pure guess would be they might well be overrun, physically, by almost any university level mens' team. Regardless, really enjoyed this WWC and looking forward to the Olympics.

Men are always going to have a massive advantage in physical sports, and even more so at the elite level. I just get tired of the needless comparisons (in my opinion). It isn't just sex either...…"Uh long time listener, first time caller...um, would the Arizona Cardinals be able to beat the Alabama Crimson Tide? Um, thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your answer." Hell yes. Any pro team would beat any college team. I also have two daughters who are good at athletics, and have opportunities that both of their Grandmas wish they would have had. Not making a political point, just late in the day. I'm easily irritated. And I would hope @Meat Grinder knows me well enough that I'm not taking a run at him. Plus I'm playing Will S in mirrored quick battles.....so I'm particularly sensitive.

<snipped>
The USA women's team should, IMO, refrain from politics and handle themselves gracefully, like champions. Instead, they have done what they have done. A shame.

I blame Rick Flair for the genesis of today's era where athletes gain reward for personal chest thumping and self-promotion. :fisher:

More seriously, while I admire the sheer talent on the USA Women's Team, I think its always bad form to mock the opponents one beats. :censored:
Most disturbing to me is how the USA Women's Team imposes an ideological litmus test for joining their ranks. I was sorry to see soccer star Jaelene Hinkle excuse herself from the team as she did. :cry:

I'm not really understanding this.....are you saying being the best Women's team in the entire damn world is not good enough? That Women should be held to some sort of higher standard?

No. The USA women's professional soccer team is asking for "equal pay" to the USA men's professional soccer team.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...omens-soccer-team-demands-equal-pay-mens-team

The USA women's team are champions. The USA men's team suck.

Soccer (and all professional sports) revenue is calculated by "asses in the seats" (as well as merch). The more asses filling seats, the more $$ earned. Women's soccer is bottom dollar. Hardly anybody pays to watch it. Hell, even men's soccer is bottom dollar in the USA. We just don't care about it.

Want to generate some interest? Have the USA women's (champion) team play the USA men's (loser) team. :)

Men are always going to have a massive advantage in physical sports, and even more so at the elite level. I just get tired of the needless comparisons (in my opinion). It isn't just sex either...…"Uh long time listener, first time caller...um, would the Arizona Cardinals be able to beat the Alabama Crimson Tide? Um, thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your answer." Hell yes. Any pro team would beat any college team. I also have two daughters who are good at athletics, and have opportunities that both of their Grandmas wish they would have had. Not making a political point, just late in the day. I'm easily irritated. And I would hope @Meat Grinder knows me well enough that I'm not taking a run at him. Plus I'm playing Will S in mirrored quick battles.....so I'm particularly sensitive.

Aww man. Naw. Much love here!

Good post. As generations of Americans have said...."act like you've been there." Agreed. But while we all know that saying, and many, including myself treat it like gospel.....who gets rewarded in our country right now? Who gets elected? Who gets the press? I told you, I'm irritated.....damn that Rick Flair :p

@Meat Grinder, soccer is hard to watch, at least for us Americans. A lot of back and forth.....strategy that is kinda boring and quite frankly a toss up. A game of flow, when we Americans like a game where you run exactly 7 yards, cut 45 degree angles, and catch the slant pass. Then line up and start again. Soooooo, in this case, since neither team makes that much money really, equal pay is not something that is "out there." Although I am a center right (in American politics) kind of guy, I have always thought that worker A should earn what worker B earns if they both provide the exact same output. But in our society, it seems there is a hidden variable, called gender. A capitalist system will take advantage of anything, right or wrong, that it can. As the father of daughters, I am trying to train them to ignore all the negative social cues they get, and to get their damn money. Is that unreasonable?

- 'Thanks by the way, for letting me vent. I never do it, because I never feel comfortable enough. I guess I really like the FGM."
Venting and ranting is perfectly acceptable on FGM as long as it's done at a mature level. It does define a bit who we are.

As for the poor, underpaid USA Womens soccer team I was sure they were right, and they may be. However, I saw recent figures that suggest based on the revenue they bring in the disparity may not be quite as much as we've been led to believe. It's not just a men v. women thingie. As usual...FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Listen up. The USA women's Olympic hockey team shows very well and is acknowledged to be an elite team. But they have a hard team beating boy's juniors teams and I believe they have a losing record against them. Just because the men's team has not done as well as the women's team in World Cup play, it does not mean they suck. When you consider that the US has not had a consistently good men's professional league except for the last 15-20 years ( Remember the NASL and it's best US born player, Kyle Rote, Jr, who probably would not even make a modern-day MLS roster)?), the fact that the US men have even qualified to play in the World Cup is amazing. I mean, we have what I would describe as the baseball equivalent of AAA soccer when compared against the Premier League or the Bundesliga or Mexico's or Spain's or Italy's professional leagues. I mean, WTF, when is the last time you've seen a men's World Cup team lose to another 13-0? Never. So that should tell you what the comparative skill level between the sexes is. Don't cut the US team short, if and when they get an international coach who is actually worth a damn, they will be a force to be reckoned with. The only reason that the US didn't beat Mexico the other day was Mexico's goalkeeper made some out of this world saves. A good barometer of US soccer talent is the number of US born players who are playing in the professional leagues overseas. In my day, when I played back in the late '60s and '70s, NO US players played in European leagues and I mean zero players. That we have US players playing in Europe is really exciting because it means US players are starting to "hang" with the best of the best. The level of play in the MLS is getting stronger every year and the league is expanding. Soccer participation in the US is huge at the youth level and my prediction is when the US produces a truly great player, let's say someone with iconic talent like a Maradona or Pele`, we will start to "own" the cup.

Last edited:
I know, right? Had some magnificent opportunities. That they made the final is amazing. Beating Mexico is a tough assignment, they are consistently in the World Cup and have a great tradition of international experience and success.

Back