Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

WW2 Era Australian Imperial Force Documents

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
So as many of you know my grandmother passed the other month. The family have come to the tail end of cleaning up the family home and in the final few draws there was another little history surprise waiting.

Firstly a copy of my late grandfather's (died back in 2009), Serviceman's pocket book when he was in the Royal Australian Navy. He was just below the age requirements so missed out on the war propper but was in the Navy on a mine sweeper between 1945-1948 cleaning up the south Pacific.
3X10Mf7.jpg

qOfRwoK.jpg

Then there was this separate book which was published in 1941 updating the populous back home of the Australian Army's exploits in the Middle East Theatre across 1940-41. It's one of those propogranda puff pieces more than anything but must admit still has chapters on Greece and Crete. Unsure who picked it up but both my grandparents were young teenagers during the early war years.

mgsHt18.jpg

q6dOr9M.jpg

General Blamey's forward. (Silly fool in my opinion... Google him).
Tpc3QnW.jpg

And if anyone ever complains again that Combat Mission foxholes are not dug 'into the terrain.' :D Granted Tobruk was solid rock just below the sand...
4MUaPmV.jpg

Interesting finds. :p

Back