Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Your First Job

My first job was working in the kitchen at "Holiday Inn" It was run by a gal named Betty Timko. She was kind of a local restaurant Icon around here. Worked in the salad area from 1972 through early 74 making $1.65 an hour. It was a great job. Worked 2nd shift after school from 3pm til around 11pm or so was able to buy my first car a 66 Mustang coupe. This isn't the place but the sign was the same. My first Job after leaving School was the USAF.IMG_9097.GIFIMG_9095.JPG
IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9096.JPG

How many of you blokes can remember there first jobs after leaving School ?...… I got hold of this picture with a
stroke of luck of the place I started at John Dickinson in 1952 at the age of 15
View attachment 15788
I should add I started as a Van Boy, stayed in the Transport game until I retired …… Not as a Van Boy LOL

Started in 1992 in a local Senior citiesens residence to earn Money to study in the IT field. Studing IT in 1992 was rather boring and I loved working with People so I Change to health care in 1995 and made my state examination in 1999. Worked in a local (small) Hospital near the Highway. It was the only Hospital in a 35-50km radius which ment we had to be Allrounders. Depending on the shift, I had duty in any ward that needed qualified personal.

Worked in surgery as well as intensiv care, even deliverd children when no female staff was around.

Fun times.

10 years ago I went back to IT :)

My first "real" job, not counting mowing yards and washing/waxing cars for money, was joining the United States Army Reserve while I was a Junior in high school. Did basic training during summer break between my Junior and Senior years, then went to AIT in San Antonio immediately after graduation. After finishing that and coming back to my local MASH unit, where I was a medic/X-Ray tech. I started college full time, studying medical imaging. The money I got from weekend drills, along with the GI Bill, and money I made from helping a lady and her husband clean up the high school gym after basketball games, allowed me to get through college with minimal debt (I was still living with my parents, and college was *much* cheaper back then than it is now). Immediately upon graduation in 1988 I was offered a full time job at the hospital I did my clinical training at, and I've been working full time in medical imaging for thirty years now, at various hospitals and outpatient facilities. I re-upped one time in the Army Reserve, then chose not to re-up again in 1991.

My first "real" job, not counting mowing yards and washing/waxing cars for money, was joining the United States Army Reserve while I was a Junior in high school. Did basic training during summer break between my Junior and Senior years, then went to AIT in San Antonio immediately after graduation. After finishing that and coming back to my local MASH unit, where I was a medic/X-Ray tech. I started college full time, studying medical imaging. The money I got from weekend drills, along with the GI Bill, and money I made from helping a lady and her husband clean up the high school gym after basketball games, allowed me to get through college with minimal debt (I was still living with my parents, and college was *much* cheaper back then than it is now). Immediately upon graduation in 1988 I was offered a full time job at the hospital I did my clinical training at, and I've been working full time in medical imaging for thirty years now, at various hospitals and outpatient facilities. I re-upped one time in the Army Reserve, then chose not to re-up again in 1991.
Good Man Doug

Left Boarding school in Keswick on a Saturday, travelled home to Aldershot - 325 miles via coach and walk home from the bus station.
Unpacked on Sunday.
Cycled 8.5 miles the next day to arrive at my first job for 7.30am - working with glass fibre manufacturing parts for tanks for an MOD contract - we made glass fibre containers that held shells which were fixed inside the tanks - also made bullet proof panels for banks.
Left work at 5.30pm, rode home, showered, ate a hearty meal (typical teenager with hollow legs) washed down with a pint mug of tea, then crashed out on the sofa!!

Up the next morning and at it again!!

Steve

Last edited:
Left Boarding school in Keswick on on a Saturday, travelled home to Aldershot - 325 miles via coach and walk home from the bus station.
Unpacked on Sunday.
Cycled 8.5 miles the next day to arrive at my first job for 7.30am - working with glass fibre manufacturing parts for tanks for an MOD contract - we made glass fibre containers that held shells which were fixed inside the tanks - also made bullet proof panels for banks.
Left work at 5.30pm, rode home, showered, ate a hearty meal (typical teenager with hollow legs) washed down with a pint mug of tea, then crashed out on the sofa!!

Up the next morning and at it again!!

Steve
That's Sterling mate

Delivering the Long Island Press back when there were paperboys.

0k3ynDh.jpg

Nice bike! Is that actually you?

No it's not me . But we all looked like that back when the world was in black and white.

Good eye on the bike!
1966 Stingray bike with chopper handle bars, banana seat and optional tall sissy bar!
It was boss, man.
And chicks dug it.
:cool:
(of course I was only 10)

KpAPFEU.jpg

Various labouring jobs and landscape gardening for two years. Back breaking work but you had a great tan and could eat and drink as much as you wanted.

That's Sterling mate

Thanks.

Never been out of work - also gave my mum £15 out of the £53 wages I earned for housekeeping when I started that job.

I stayed there for five years and then left when the new foreman took a disliking to me and made life awkward there.
He later got his come uppance though and was fired for giving someone the sack when he had not thought it through properly - the guy took the company to court and they had to pay him a years salary plus damages.

Steve

Back