Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ze German is happy to be here.

• Thread starter 1. Infanterie-Division
  • Start date

1. Infanterie-Division

Hello everyone,

my name is Rob, I live in germany and i would be happy if I could find a few guys here to play various wargames with :)

When not working or wargaming, I spent my time doing research for the "Association of military history" (Verein für militärhistorische Forschung e.V.) and for various Wehrmacht related web projects (see signature links).

Herzliche Grüsse und friendly regards,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Just a friendly welcome from your neighbour :p

I see 2 links in your sig. Explain some more? I'm interested, is that your family?

Groetjes!

Thanks for your friendly answer. The "kriegspfade" link leads to the histories of various members of my family (Theodor Schäfer is my grandfather, the others are granduncles). The "1. Infanterie-Division" link is a project I am currently working on. Together with some fellow researchers we are compiling a history of the 1. Infanterie-Division of the Deutsche Wehrmacht. We are in contact with a few veterans, have access to the divisional war diaries, personal documents, photo albums etc. This is only the beginning and there is a LOT more to come.

Best wishes!

Rob

Groetjes!

Ow je spreekt Nederlands? Waar woon je ergens? Grensgebied?
Translation: Ow you speak Dutch? where do you live? Near the border?
Not many Germans speak Dutch... While many Dutch speak German...

Thanks for your friendly answer. The "kriegspfade" link leads to the histories of various members of my family (Theodor Schäfer is my grandfather, the others are granduncles).

I see you grandfather survived the war. Is he still alive?

The "1. Infanterie-Division" link is a project I am currently working on. Together with some fellow researchers we are compiling a history of the 1. Infanterie-Division of the Deutsche Wehrmacht. We are in contact with a few veterans, have access to the divisional war diaries, personal documents, photo albums etc. This is only the beginning and there is a LOT more to come.

Awesome work and I shall keep looking at your progress.

Greetings and groeten,
Bram

Hallo,

Ik spreek geen Nederlands. Well I know a few phrases and words as I live "close" to the border. Dinslaken, so only 40 minutes to Venlo. I was in Leeuwarden last Saturday and it would have been most helpful to know more of your language there.

My grandfather died of a stroke a long time ago, but he survived the war. Although scarred physicaly and mentaly.

Tot ziens!

Rob

welcome and look forward to info you dig up on histories.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the FGM!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, we're a friendly bunch!

Kind regards,

Stu

Ik spreek geen Nederlands. Well I know a few phrases and words as I live "close" to the border. Dinslaken, so only 40 minutes to Venlo. I was in Leeuwarden last Saturday and it would have been most helpful to know more of your language there.

Well I speak German and I work in Venlo. We also work alot with the BundesPolizei Straelen.

My grandfather died of a stroke a long time ago, but he survived the war. Although scarred physicaly and mentaly.

I know what you mean. My grandfather fought on the Grebbeberg againt the German invasion in 1940. And in 1943 a British RAF pilot was shot down above my old hometown and where my grandparents lived. They hide the pilot for about one year. Then in september 1944 the US 101st landed near Schijndel (thats where I'm originaly from and where my grandparents lived). That is near Veghel. The 101st took the pilot with them and after the war the pilot visited my grandparents many times. I even met him a few times. But the last time was when I was 12 years old and I'm turning 32 this month so its a ong time ago.

And my wife's grandfather was in the Dutch resistance. I'm sorry but he hated the Germans. He never told anyone much about his experience during the war but when I met my wife I was still in the army. So he told me some things that happend during WWII and in Indonesia just before he died. He fought with the US 82nd after they landed near Nijmegen untill the end of the war. Then he went to Indonesia for 5 years to fight there.

Me? I'm interested in the Dutch Waffen SS volunteers on the Eastern front. And all German combat on the Eastern front.

Wie gehts 1ID!
Unlike DG, I only speak enough Deutsch to get me in trouble, same with Japanese, Korean & Vietnamese.
With your interest in history, you have surely found a group of fellows who are glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@DutchGrenadier

My Granduncle Alois was serving in a occupational unit in Holland (Infanterie-Regiment 158 / 82. Infanterie-Division) from February 1941 to June 1942. Sadly the Divisional records from that period are gone, so I dont know any details at all.
Looking at his photos taken during that period it seems to have been quite a relaxed and good time for him though.

[url]http://www.kriegspfade.de/alois.htm[/URL]

If you know of any dutch literature about the subject (german occupation/units etc) let me know ;-)

Best wishes to all of you

Rob

Welcome Rob;do you play Conquest of the aegean,or Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich ?

Hello everyone, my name is Rob, I live in germany and i would be happy if I could find a few guys here to play various wargames with :)

Hi Rob, welcome to FGM, i will play a CMBN game with you sometime in the future when i've finished up some of the games i have ongoing :)

Hah, our community is grwoing. Not long and we'll take over FGM! :evil: From there it's only a small step to World Domination (tm)!!! *evil laugh*

Honestly - welcome aboard. Can't have enough germans around these days!

Back