Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

“Tonight you die, Canada boy!”

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Lt. Edward “Ed” Mastronardi (Nov 2, 1925/Oct 9, 2016) was one of twenty-nine courageous Canadians who fought at The Battle of Kapyong at Korea’s Song-gok Spur. This handful of soldiers from the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment were manning a forward outpost in central Korea on the night of Nov 2–3, 1951, when they were suddenly attacked.

tqjgKq0.jpg

"The Flying Deuce" -as they styled themselves- was a good platoon. Its troops liked Ed, affectionately calling him “Boss.” But they were down to 28 men. Ed had no sergeant, just two corporals and a lance corporal to do the myriad of tasks that go with defending what was the Battalion’s key terrain.

The Chinese attack began just before 2100 hrs on Nov 2 — Mastronardi’s 26th birthday. Before it was launched, the Chinese initiated a verbal exchange, shouting out, “Canada boy, tonight you die!” Ed’s response, to his men’s delight: “Come and get me you son of a ###”. But Mastronardi knew the Deuce was in for it. So did the troops, but not a man flinched.

For the next eight hours, a full Chinese battalion, supported by artillery and blowing bugles, came in waves in an effort to swarm the Deuce.

Ed was dashing from trench to trench, shouting encouragement to his boys, and calling in his SOS defensive fire tasks. Ed’s command bunker was over-run. Facing his Chinese attackers, he shot two with his 9-mm Browning and a lit up a third with his Very pistol. Ed’s men performed similar acts of cool courage.

In the thick of it, Brigadier John Rockingham (1911/1987) got hold of Ed on his wireless, telling him that he and his platoon were the “cork in the bottle” and, by all means, they had to hold. The Deuce did hold, right to 0330 hrs, when Ed was given the order to withdraw. Ed was the last man to leave the position, leaving no one behind except Pte Joe Campeau, killed in the fighting. He would recover Campeau’s body the next day.

RvsZhQr.jpg

Some members of 2nd Platoon, Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, Korea 1951

Using artillery to cover the withdrawal and carrying out his 15 wounded plus all the platoon weapons, Ed and his boys successfully made the 600 yards back to the battalion’s main position. Badly stung, the Chinese did not pursue, nor did they occupy the spur. For 2 RCR, it was a major victory with grievous damage done to the enemy. This battle was critical in defending the capital city from the all-out attack from the Chinese.​

For anyone interested, Norm Christie as part of his Battlefield Documentaries series returns to the site of this battle with Lt. Edward “Ed” Mastronardi himself in 2015. A very moving tribute to those who fought and for those who never came back.

Cheers !

Years ago my brothers and two nephews, Chris and Andy, toured Normandy with a guide, Gary, who was from England.

At one point touring the Falaise Gap, Gary mentioned a Canadian unit and one of my nephews was surprised and exclaimed "The Canadians were here!?"
We were looking my nephew in surprised silence, Gary, his deadpan British humor, and with a straight face remarked "Just a few."
Made my brothers and I laugh pretty hard all right.

By the end of the day both Chris and Andy had a new found respect for Canada and the Canadian Army.

Back