Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

2ICs and XOs?

Stafford

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
What are the purpose of these units in the game? I understand they can fill in as a replacement if the HQ goes down, but given that higher level HQ units usually aren't close to where the hot stuff is flying this would be fairly rare?

Would it be considered gamey to delete them to free up some points, or use them for some other purpose such as scouting or manning an MG in a halftrack? I prefer to keep things realistic where possible...

What are the purpose of these units in the game? I understand they can fill in as a replacement if the HQ goes down, but given that higher level HQ units usually aren't close to where the hot stuff is flying this would be fairly rare?

Would it be considered gamey to delete them to free up some points, or use them for some other purpose such as scouting or manning an MG in a halftrack? I prefer to keep things realistic where possible...
They are the first things to be deleted if I’m trying to free up points

When a platoon loses its leader, you can send the company commander out to take charge. The 2IC then works as a backup.

And/or you can use the 2IC and XO teams as observation posts. A small team with binoculars and radio link is always useful.

XOs, with radios, are good for liaison work with other units not in the same chain of command. Example: You have tank platoons supporting your infantry company but the tanks and infantry are from different battalions. The XO, who is placed with the tank unit, will then assist with the horizontal transfer of C2. This is especially useful if you are playing with house rules where tentative contact markers are needed for area fire, decision making etc.

I've also used XOs (the ones that have arty call ability) as a Target Reference Point Coordination Officer (TRPCO). The XO is in the Command Post (TOC) and calls in artillery on TRPs to support the scheme of maneuver or defensive fires. This also is used with house rules and C2 so the XO has information (tentative contact markers etc.) that it's time to bring down 105mm on the TRP near the stone bridge etc. This frees up the CO for other jobs like encouraging the tip of the spear platoon leader ............ :LOL:.

I sometimes use them to garrison victory locations that are not defended by my main force.

Often, I just delete them.

The CM manual claims that there are command and control benefits to the chain of command, but I have never really noticed them.

XOs, with radios, are good for liaison work with other units not in the same chain of command. Example: You have tank platoons supporting your infantry company but the tanks and infantry are from different battalions. The XO, who is placed with the tank unit, will then assist with the horizontal transfer of C2. This is especially useful if you are playing with house rules where tentative contact markers are needed for area fire, decision making etc.

I've also used XOs (the ones that have arty call ability) as a Target Reference Point Coordination Officer (TRPCO). The XO is in the Command Post (TOC) and calls in artillery on TRPs to support the scheme of maneuver or defensive fires. This also is used with house rules and C2 so the XO has information (tentative contact markers etc.) that it's time to bring down 105mm on the TRP near the stone bridge etc. This frees up the CO for other jobs like encouraging the tip of the spear platoon leader ............ :LOL:.

Ah yes!

Nah. They suck.

Back