Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A African-American, the first tank crew to die in WWII

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
jBHjf4M.jpg

Robert H. Brooks born on Oct 8, 1915 and was raised in the small town of Sadieville, Kentucky.
In late 1940, Brooks joined the U.S. Army and was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for training as a tank and half-track driver with D Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.

In Oct 1941, Brooks’ company loaded onto trains bound for San Francisco. In early Nov they boarded ships and headed across the Pacific. After stops in Honolulu and the island of Guam, they reached their destination: Clark Airfield on Luzon Island in the Philippines.

On Dec 7, 1941, the airmen and soldiers at Clark Airfield received news by radio about the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and the following day, on Dec 8, the Japanese launched an air attack on the Philippines and Clark Airfield. Pvt. Robert H. Brooks was killed instantly by a Japanese bomb. He only was 26 years old. Brooks had been in the Philippines just one day and was the first Armored Force soldier killed in the war.

When news of Brooks’ death reached Commanding General Jacob Devers (1887/1979) at Fort Knox, he ordered that the main parade ground be named in honor of Pvt. Brooks.

Gen. Devers had this letter sent to the parents of Pvt. Robert H. Brooks.

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Brooks
Sadieville, Kentucky

“My Dear Mr. and Mrs. Brooks:

“It is with the deepest regret that I have learned of the death of your son, Robert, who gave his life in the defense of his country, December 8, 1941, in a battle near Fort Stotsenburg, Philippine Islands.
“With appreciation of your suffering, my sincere sympathy goes out to you.

“Robert was the first battle casualty of the Armored Force, and because of this, and because of his excellent record, I have directed that the main parade ground at Fort Knox be named Brooks Field in honor of your son.

“The dedication of Brooks Field will take place at 11:00, Tuesday morning, Dec 23, and I hope that you may attend this ceremony.
“Most sincerely yours
Jacob L. Devers
Major General, U.S. Army
Chief of Armored Forces”

But Robert Brooks had kept a secret that was not revealed until after his death. At a time of racial segregation in the U.S. military, Brooks kept his race a secret to serve in an all-white tank battalion. In 1940, most black Americans were not allowed to serve in combat roles and were given menial duties in the military.

The Army had no idea that Robert Brooks was black until his parents arrived for his funeral. Brooks was light-skinned and didn’t correct the draft board official who had incorrectly listed him as white.

On Dec 23, 1941, Brooks’ parents attended a ceremony dedicating the main parade ground at Kentucky’s Fort Knox base “Brooks Field.” All commanding officers and their staffs took their places near the flagpole. In addition, nine generals were present. A platoon of dismounted infantry from the 1st Armored Division formed in a double rank facing the flagpole. The band of the 5th Armored Division played music, and General Devers delivered his address.

BH3eF1g.jpg

General Jacob Devers, Chief of the Armored Forces, gave an address: “In death, there is no grade or rank. And in this, the greatest democracy the world has ever known, neither riches nor poverty, neither creed nor race, draws a line of demarcation in this hour of national crisis.”

DYyIS4b.jpg

ophA89u.jpg

After the war, Robert Brooks’ remains were moved to the American Military Cemetery outside of Manila, where he still lies with the other members of his battalion. He was posthumously promoted to Private First Class.

lmwGQQi.jpg

Reactions: mTk
Back