Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A Man Can Die But Once - unblocking

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I recently completed an H2H game of CMBN's 'A Man Can Die But Once'. In the process I discovered a number of design flaws - specifically (1) rooms and whole blocks with NO doors all the way around and (2) windows through walls of adjacent apartments (like I want my neighbour leaning into my living room for a chat?). So I am painstakingly working my way through Arnhem in the scenario editor to correct these flaws and to make tiny changes in the appearance. Having started my life in Amsterdam I am aware that post 1930's buildings in the urban centres of the Netherlands tended to be built whole blocks of brick and in the same style. When the work is done it will be posted here as 'A Man Can DIe But Once - unblocked'

In some cases, the buildings with no doors and windows are intentional to represent silos in factory areas and at the harbour.. not sure if that's the case with this map as I don't have market garden.

Acknowledged. In this instance the issue of 'no doors' is with what appears to represent a factory or 'bedrijf' made up of six modular buildings. The designer surrounded it with tall walls right up against the outside of 'most of' the building. He could have just created the lower floors 'without windows and doors to the same effect. Maybe he wanted the walls to be 'thicker and stronger'. In doing so access to the outside was blocked but for one door. That itself is not necessarily bad but inside there were no doors to communicate between the blocked modules and adjacent modules. That was just one issue.

As I am now working through the whole of the map one room at a time, there are many buildings where walls shared by adjacent buildings have windows 'through' which need to be blocked. Others have doors on one side but not the other. Doors in some buildings that should lead to the outside are facing the wall of an adjacent atttached building , etc. So there's a bit of work to be done to get it all sorted.

As I am now working through the whole of the map one room at a time, there are many buildings where walls shared by adjacent buildings have windows 'through' which need to be blocked. Others have doors on one side but not the other. Doors in some buildings that should lead to the outside are facing the wall of an adjacent atttached building , etc. So there's a bit of work to be done to get it all sorted.
Yes, it's unfortuantely an issue with many (most) urban maps.

Death by 10,000 clicks. Today I'm finally about 1/3 of the way through correcting the windows in adjoining walls issue. By golly, on average it is 20 mouse clicks (10 for each side of the wall) per wall per floor, so a 3-storey modular is 60 clicks per side. Blaaah! Scenario designers should get this done when they create the scenario.

Positive Benefit: with windows and most doors removed from shared walls, defending an urban area should become easier since the attackers cannot shoot through the wall anymore unless they have a satchel charge. Conversely it should make clearing out an urban area more difficult.

I hope this will go a small way to make it more difficult to winkle the British paras out of Arnhem, not impossible, just more slowly, more costly and more time-consuming.

So far the Logitech G900 mouse is a gift that keeps on clicking. Now about the R.S.I. in my index finger ....

Back