Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A Night to Forget

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Do any of you still have the time or patience to play ... and complete ... monster scenarios? Last time I did, it was Scourge of War Waterloo's complete Waterloo battle. And that was only because it was computer managed. The last two times I actually played monster board wargames was SPI's Wellington's Victory and SPI's Terrible Swift Sword; finished the former, but didn't get through the latter.

Well, I've gone and done it. Done created a monster. "A Night to Forget" is a huge scenario on a 2.4 x 3.8 km bocage filled map with American 82nd Airborne's Col. Millet trying to break out from west to east, the 325th Gider Infantry trying to establish a bridgehead from east to west and Lt. Col. Shanley sitting tight in the orchard, for a total of about 2 1/2 battalions of American troopers. Caught in between these two are elements of the German III./1057 Grenadier and some bicycle borne Siecherheits truppen. The battle takes place around midnight under overcast conditions with special movement restrictions for the American player.

What movement restrictions you ask? To make a small attempt to simulate the inability of Millet to co-ordinate his linkup with the actions of the 325th, the American player is permitted to give 'new' orders each turn to only one of the three American forces; either Millet, the 325th or Shanley in the Orchard. A force that does not receive orders during the turn, may still be able to move based on order received previously. Such a game requires trust of course so is best played between friends.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to, if I can run it. I love massive scenarios, but I always run into performance issues that turn me off from actually finishing them. I've been finding this happening a lot with the sheer scale of CMCW.

Can first try to load two earlier scenarios that are half the size; Millet Breaks Out and Night Crossing. The scenario described above combines those two into a single one.

You can try to load "Millet Breaks Out" and "A Night Crossing" first to see how your computer handles these and play solo H2H. The present scenario combines those two into one.

Back